Home Open Account Help 188 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Question about CR RS3m's

Date: 03/04/15 09:43
Question about CR RS3m's
Author: ns2557

Looking back at some shots I had taken years ago and trying to locate info on this rebld program I really could not find any. My library, is pretty good and all the sources I have at my disposal didn't really give any info for the most part. Is there a definitive source for these units available somewhere? Interested in the backgrounds on the units involved in the rebld, such as orig nmbrs/bldr's nmbr/bldrs date etc. And where they were actually reblt at. From what I can gather and from what I recall most were done at DeWitt in Syracuse NY., but some were done at Juniata also. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ben

Date: 03/04/15 10:01
Re: Question about CR RS3m's
Author: CPR_4000

Here are some photos with former numbers: http://crcyc.railfan.net/locos/alco/rs3m/rs3m.html

The Conrail Historical Society website apparently had a page dedicated to these units, but it seems to be inaccessible at the moment: http://thecrhs.org/?q=ConrailEquipment/Locomotives/ALCo/RS3m

Amtrak operated some, as well, and possibly Metro North.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/15 10:36 by CPR_4000.

Date: 03/04/15 10:01
Author: PCCRNSEngr

Worked into Dewitt during the re-engine program the big different between Dewitt and Altoona rebuild are Dewitt was mainly a re-engine job while Altoona did a complete rebuilt. Electrical, cooling, air brakes and the lower hood covers compaired to Dewitt with the higher boxy hood.

Date: 03/04/15 10:20
Author: train1275

I recall the Altoona Geeps to be real knee bangers due to the positioning of the control stand and the engineer seat. I used to be real familiar with the differences and evolvement of these units but have forgotten most of it. Early ones had either no or a low short hood. The Dewitt's had the boxy sheet metal to accommodate the EMD prime mover and the Altoona's had a raised from the bottom hood mod that kept the upper rounded Alco hood contour. Seems the Dewitt's had the old Alco Control stand and the Altoona's had an EMD? All I can remember is knocking my knees on it.

Both as far as I recall had the EMD fast start toggle switch option. I also recall them being very anemic as compared to a real RS-3, but that should have been expected, but perhaps not always perceived.

Also the I think there was a deal that for a while the higher the number in the 9900 series the newer the unit was done to a point, then they started low 9900 series numbers so that the mid 9900's like 9951 were among the oldest.

I never got much exposure to them but never really cared for them. Fritz Levernosh (spelling) was the General Foreman at Dewitt that apparently inspired the project. He was one nice guy and a real smart dude. He lasted into the closing of the Dewitt Shop.

Date: 03/04/15 13:57
Author: ChessieSystem

An MU pair in service on the Delmarva. The Maryland and Delaware rosters 3 of these uncommon units.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53601427@N07/16716992752/in/photostream/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds