Home Open Account Help 210 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Anyone have photo of BQ23-7 cab interior?

Date: 11/25/02 17:36
Anyone have photo of BQ23-7 cab interior?
Author: cameraman

I am in need of a photo showing the inside of a GE BQ23-7 engine cab. There were only 10 built for Family Lines, units lasted thru Seaboard and into CSX.

If you don't have a photo but have been inside one or better yet run one can you explain what the inside looked like?

how many total seats?
did control stand reach very front of cab?
did cab include any type of work desk for conductor?
where was the hopper?

Also, somewhere along the way I heard these fell out of favor do to the crew being up close on the front cab wall which would have been bad in crashes. Was this just a rumor or can anyone offer proof?

Date: 11/25/02 18:37
Re: Anyone have photo of BQ23-7 cab interior?
Author: 3rdRail

I thought that either Diesel ERA or CTC Board had a srpread, on them. Diesel area I believe (quite a while back) I have a lot of the old copies but can't say for sure if I can find them. If I do I'll let you know.
You can try my E mail in a few days as I don't have yours. Or just E mail me and if or when I locate it I'll let you know. 3rdRAil

Date: 11/25/02 21:50
Author: rs36

Both DIESEL ERA (VOL 9, No. 4)and Railroad Model Craftsman (unsure which issue, but there were drawings and interior photos)had features on the BQ23-7s.

Date: 11/26/02 05:43

Would you happen to around what yaer that issue was? Thanks. I have them scatterded in boxs since my last move. I also gave a way a few copies to a friend of mine for fixing my scanner.

Date: 11/26/02 05:49
If you find those issues
Author: cameraman

Guys, I have never subscribed to Diesel Era or RMC so if you find those issues can you describe what you see or scan and e-mail to me the pages out of the mag.

Date: 11/26/02 06:05
Re: If you find those issues
Author: csxt4447

Was in DE as stated.

Also, Model Railroader ran an article with inside pix and nice drawings in the 80s about a year or so after the BQs were built. (back when MR used to be good - .......sorry could'nt resist). Check0 the Model RR mag index on-line for the issue.

By the way, cab had 5 seats. The arrangement of seats, desks, etc. was odd - lots of steps up/down in the cab to reach all the seats. Pix in MR showed them with SCL embossed on the seats. I asked a Sbd/CSX engineer about those in the early 90s and he remembered being in them but the SCL seats were long gone.

Date: 11/26/02 09:03

3rdRail wrote:

> Would you happen to around what year that issue was? Thanks.

I have'nt found all of mine either, but they are:

RMC Feb 1979
MR July 1983
Model Railroading Nov 1989
Diesel Era Vol 9, No. 4 (J/A 1998)
MR Jun 2000

The RMC had drawings, as did the MR I beleive.
The Diesel Era article has several general arrangment drawings, including a proposed U18BQ, also targeted at you know who. Cab layout drawings are also included.

Date: 11/26/02 16:11
Author: radioman2

cameraman wrote:

> I am in need of a photo showing the inside of a GE BQ23-7
> engine cab. There were only 10 built for Family Lines, units
> lasted thru Seaboard and into CSX.
>
> If you don't have a photo but have been inside one or better
> yet run one can you explain what the inside looked like?
>
> how many total seats?
> did control stand reach very front of cab?
> did cab include any type of work desk for conductor?
> where was the hopper?
>
> Also, somewhere along the way I heard these fell out of favor
> do to the crew being up close on the front cab wall which would
> have been bad in crashes. Was this just a rumor or can anyone
> offer proof?
>
> [%sig%]

I have the issue in front of me right now!It has no picture of the inside of the cab ,but it has a diagram.

I has 5 seats

The control stand is very close to the front of the cab

DESK??? diagram does not list one, i thought it had one.

The HOPPER is in the back of the cab.

This issue is still listed as being available from DIESEL ERA.If i get back to the shop this week i may be able to scan the cab layout,but we have a crappy scanner.It is a very good issue an would be worth the money to buy!

Radioman2 out

Date: 11/26/02 20:10

Is that where it ended up Radioman2? I had so many of those I lost track. But the scanner still works great. As you can tell I listen more then I read. Thanks again! If that was of the ones you got that is. Later

Date: 11/27/02 11:18

rs36 wrote:

> The Diesel Era article has several general arrangment
> drawings, including a proposed U18BQ, also targeted at you know
> who. Cab layout drawings are also included.

Make that a U15BQ. No U18BQ.

One of the modeling articles showed shots of the interior with the SCL logo embossed in the leather seats. I recall thinking how cool that was at the time.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0402 seconds