Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Testing out some new flashes!

Date: 04/01/15 00:41
Testing out some new flashes!
Author: msullivan1993

I ordered some Yongnuo flashes as a late birthday present to myself (see my topic on them in Railfan Technology) and have had a blast trying them out.  They work a lot better than the Vivitar's I was using from a friend before.  All photos were taken with a Canon T3i.

1 - Old picture with the Vivitar's of NS 188 at South Point, Ohio for comparison sakes... 1/250, f/5, ISO 800 (one of my first shots which is why the settings are a bit off)

2 - One of the casualties of CSX's new 28-hour schedule, Russell to Cumberland manifest X316-31 slows down approaching DK Cabin to wait for permission to head up the Ohio River Sub at Guyandotte. 1/200, f/4, ISO 200 (with a bit of exposure boost in PS)

3 - Still becoming accustomed to the new 28-hour schedule CSX has implemented for some of it's timetable manifests, Hamlet-bound X696-31 makes a late night run through Ashland, Kentucky (avoiding the traffic nightmare that tie replacement has given during the day) with a pair of fairly new GEVO's for power.  1/200, f/4, ISO 400

Date: 04/01/15 00:43
Re: Testing out some new flashes!

4 - One of the local yard jobs escaping Russell Yard to work the many industries near the  classification yard backs down the industrial track for the Wurtland "Riverport" west of RJ Cabin. As present by the stripped crossing  signals, this line used to move a lot more traffic than it does these days.

5 - Having picked up a pair of covered hoppers at the head of the Wurtland "Riverport" the Wurtland  local eases along the rusty jointed rail to couple with the rest of the  train and make their way to Dupont, less than a mile up the road...er,  rail.

Date: 04/01/15 04:43
Author: jmbreitigan

I sure like your shot at the Ashland, KY. station.
John

Date: 04/01/15 04:48
Author: ns1000

Nice work...!!

Date: 04/01/15 05:39
Author: njttony

those shots are great , tony

Date: 04/01/15 05:48
Author: agrafton

jmbreitigan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I sure like your shot at the Ashland, KY.
> station.
> John

Agree, very nice

Date: 04/01/15 05:52
Author: Baxtersta

Michael, Nice selection of shots.  But you're teasing us.  You say that you bought some flashes (plural) so we wonder if you are in fact using multiple flashes for the shots.  Tell us more.  

Date: 04/01/15 06:33
Author: santafedan

Do you notify the railroad that you will be using flash photography?  Just wondering with how the world is today.

Date: 04/01/15 07:24

Baxtersta Wrote:
> Michael, Nice selection of shots.  But you're
> teasing us.  You say that you bought some
> flashes (plural) so we wonder if you are in fact
> using multiple flashes for the shots.  Tell us
> more.  

Indeed I did.  I purchased 8 of them.  Total was around $700 for all 8 plus tripods and TX.  Not a bad set at all. 

santafedan Wrote:
> Do you notify the railroad that you will be using
> flash photography?  Just wondering with how the
> world is today.

Unfortunately I have no way to really call them and say that I am, but I carry a small flashlight with me that I flash a couple times at the crew approaching just as a heads up. 

Date: 04/01/15 16:26
Author: halfmoonharold

Just be careful not to wave the flashlight. The crew might take that as a "washout", or distress signal, and dump the air.

Date: 04/01/15 22:19

halfmoonharold Wrote:
> Just be careful not to wave the flashlight. The
> crew might take that as a "washout", or distress
> signal, and dump the air.

Oh, I wouldn't do that, just turn it on for a couple seconds so they see me there.  Typically I do it in well lit areas anyways so it's not unexpected.

Date: 04/02/15 05:27
Author: Larry020

Congratulations on IOTD, ironic that it was with the old flash.  Is the yeild sign 
standard in this State?  Especially with the flash, it seems to stand out as 
being different.

ʎɹɹɐl

Date: 04/02/15 11:25
Author: TTownTrains

I'm just curious what the flash does to the crew member's night vision.

Bill G.

Date: 04/03/15 19:07
Author: mdmcn27n

Headlights are much brighter than flashes, I have been flashed on UP trains with no ill effects.

Date: 04/03/15 19:12
Author: trkspd

Hmmm, I think this would irritate me if you did this to my train.

I'd call it in, and I don't care if you gave me 'warning'.

As safety concerned you guys are on this site, don't you think this type of photography would distract the crew, especially flashing a light trying to get our attention....then blinding us.

.....we dim our headlights when we meet at night. Yes, headlights do somewhat blind us at night, even car headlights on bright sometimes

Posted from Android

DG .
Unknown, US

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1445 seconds