Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > D&H / CP, R&N and NS action near Wilkes-Barre today

Date: 04/01/15 18:57
D&H / CP, R&N and NS action near Wilkes-Barre today
Author: sscannella

Got to spend some time up north in the Wilkes-Barre / Scranton area this morning.  My arrival time was perfect as I intercepted Reading and Northern's Scranton Branch job - PISB - which had just departed Pittston Yard.  I set up at this location on the former DL&W Bloomsburg Branch in Old Forge near the former station to just east of the crossing over the Lackawanna River near S. Main St.  SD40-2 3051 leads 25 cars for Scranton's Keyser Valley.

Date: 04/01/15 18:59
Re: D&H / CP, R&N and NS action near Wilkes-Barre today

As an added bonus, Pittston Yard job YJPI's pair of SD40-2s - 3056 and 3058, give an assist on the rear car of lumber, which will be dropped by the PISB, and the yard crew will spot at Mariotti Lumber in Old Forge, before returning to the former Lehigh Valley yard at Pittston to do some more yard work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/15 19:08 by sscannella.

Date: 04/01/15 19:03

While photographing the Reading and Northern job(s), CP's Taylor Yard based D11 job was heading south through nearby Moosic with 14 cars lead by Delaware and Hudon Lightning-striped GP38-2 7303.  I headed to Yatesville where I caught them switching at Pittston Ave.  They then put the bulk of their train, which was interchange for the Luzerne and Susquehanna at Avoca on their return, onto the siding at Yatesville and took two cars south through Wilkes-Barre for Nanticoke, PA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/15 19:09 by sscannella.

Date: 04/01/15 19:07

So I then headed south to Wilkes Barre and crossed the Susquehanna River onto the Kingston side where they came across the river on the former Wilkes-Barre Connecting Railroad into this view from the levee in Miner's Park.  This line will soon be sold to NS so this may be my last image of a D&H painted unit on the CP / D&H Sunbury Sub.

CP 458 (NS 11R) had been waiting at Taylor Yard for D11 to clear up, so once they cleared up in Nantcoke, 458 got their authorities to head south.  I then set up for them back at Yatesville passing by the bulk of the cars D11 had left on the siding there.  The standard-cab C40-8 on the point of the 96-car train, as well as all the other standard-cabs, were a welcome respite from the endless parade of assorted wide-cabs I see leading every day in the Harrisburg area.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/15 19:11 by sscannella.

Date: 04/01/15 19:20
Author: agrafton

Nice images and locations.
Alan

Date: 04/02/15 04:18
Author: RockIsland4310

Nice job catching the D&H unit,

Date: 04/02/15 04:46
Author: sharris

That's quite an outing. Nice work!

SH

Date: 04/02/15 05:06
Author: jmbreitigan

A real nice series of photos. I like your picture at Miner's Park.
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/15 05:07 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 04/02/15 05:38
Author: dschlegel

Not a bad morning's work at all!!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/02/15 12:34
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 04/02/15 21:34
Author: LV95032

You had a real nice day Sam!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds