Home Open Account Help 400 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Portageville Viaduct

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/23/15 15:13
NS Portageville Viaduct
Author: chatnoir

The only way I could guarantee getting a train on this bridge was to spend the whole day there.  So, on Saturday, April 18th I did just that.
Between 8:00 and 4:00 there were a total of four trains - two in each direction.

1) While this shot of 2513 east is the less spectacular of the three, it does show where the trees have been cleared in preparation for construction of the new bridge.

2) Next up, this westbound appeared in the afternoon.  In case anyone is wondering, the bridge is 240 feet (73 m) high.

3) I sat here peacefully for two hours, marveling at the sight of the gorge and waterfall below, watching the dancing mist act as the perfect prism, partnering with the sun to produce an ever moving palette of colour. This eastbound fit the bill nicely.

Finally, watching them slowly, gingerly, creep onto this 140 year old iron structure spanning the Genesee River can be summed up in one word - breathtaking!

James Adeney
Toronto

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/15 17:49 by chatnoir.

Date: 04/23/15 15:16
Re: NS Portageville Viaduct
Author: BCutter

Pic #3 is spectacular!  Would be my nominee for IOTD!

Bruce
Columbia MO

Date: 04/23/15 15:18
Author: stevelv

Great stuff and thanks for the effort.  That first view is a rare one and will be short lived once they start construction.  When I was there about 20 years ago you could walk on the bridge but I'm sure NS put a quick end to that.
Steve B.

Date: 04/23/15 15:19
Author: jmbreitigan

WOW, photo #3 is stunning. My vote also for IOTD.
John

Date: 04/23/15 15:48
Author: CCMF

NKP 765 will be going over this summer.  :-)

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/15 15:48 by CCMF.

Date: 04/23/15 16:00
Author: WLE2679

Great shots!   What line is this on?

Date: 04/23/15 16:16
Author: richs

Your pictures are breathtaking. Thanks for posting.  Knowing next to nothing of this line and for that matter the bridge I read a report from 2008 studying alternatives to the problems posed by the condition of the bridge.  Can someone give a brief overview of what is going to happen.  I see in pic 1 the cleared trees.  What kind of bridge are they building? At what cost? and is NS footing the whole bill?
Thaks for any current information.
RichS   

Date: 04/23/15 16:31
Author: DJ-12

richs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your pictures are breathtaking. Thanks for
> posting.  Knowing next to nothing of this line
> and for that matter the bridge I read a report
> from 2008 studying alternatives to the problems
> posed by the condition of the bridge.  Can
> someone give a brief overview of what is going to
> happen.  I see in pic 1 the cleared trees.  What
> kind of bridge are they building? At what cost?
> and is NS footing the whole bill?
> Thaks for any current information.
> RichS   

The bridge in question is on the NS Southern Tier (former Erie) line about halfway between Hornell and Buffalo. I'd say that getting 4 daylight moves over the bridge is doing REALLY well. Definitely kudos to that first shot, that's a new angle that wasn't possible until the trees were cut. The old bridge is basically not built to modern standards and is weight restricted in terms of handling the heaviest modern freight cars. there also have been periodic problems with it that have resulted in numerous closures until repairs have been made. Long and short is a new bridge is needed and after years of studies, construction appears set to start.

Date: 04/23/15 16:36

CCMF Wrote:
> NKP 765 will be going over this summer.  :-)

The area around the bridge is supposed to close at the beginning of June for construction, so I'm not sure it will be accessible for 765 in August.

Date: 04/23/15 16:48
Author: RAILWATCH

WOW! Love all but #3 is spectacular. I've always wanted to head up there. Great nature & great scenery.

Date: 04/23/15 17:12
Author: cjvrr

The new bridge is to be a steel arch from the renderings I have seen.  New York State and NS are funding the new bridge.

Date: 04/23/15 17:43
Author: LV312

Glad you caught something at the bridge James. I see you managed to find the broadside overlook.
There was not enough reliable lineup info for me to head out and meet you there, but 4 trains isn't an awful day on the Tier.

Didn't know everyone was so excited about Portage Bridge pictures, or I would have posted some a long time ago.
There are a lot of them on my Flickr account:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/85501582@N03/

Mike

Date: 04/23/15 17:54

Thanks Mike, it took a little searching. I don't think I'd try it if the ground was wet, otherwise I'd need a barrel in which to go over the falls.
Your material is fantastic and inspired me to seek this out.

James

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/15 17:56 by chatnoir.

Date: 04/23/15 18:10

For anyone interested, the view of the Upper Falls side of the bridge will still be open once construction starts.
It is best lit in the morning, or on a cloudy day. You will need to enter the park at the Castile entrance, since
the Portageville entrance will be closed.
Inspiration Point is also a good photo location.

Upper Falls:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/85501582@N03/14914830563/in/photostream/

Inspiration Point:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/85501582@N03/15740652064/

Mike

Date: 04/23/15 18:32
Author: CPR_4000

Have they decided whether to keep the old bridge as a pedestrian crossing/viewing platform? Last I heard, the state was not interested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/15 18:32 by CPR_4000.

Date: 04/23/15 18:52
Author: agrafton

Those are some first class photos, all !!
Alan

Date: 04/23/15 19:04

CPR_4000 Wrote:
> Have they decided whether to keep the old bridge
> as a pedestrian crossing/viewing platform? Last I
> heard, the state was not interested.

According to a park employee that I talked to, he said that the state did not want to be liable for the old bridge, so it will
be torn down.

Mike

Date: 04/23/15 20:46
Author: nkp759

Here's some interesting reading on "The Design of the New Portageville Bridge."
https://www.arema.org/files/library/2013_Conference_Proceedings/Desgin_of_New_Portageville_Bridge.pdf

Date: 04/24/15 03:27
Author: JPB

nkp759 Wrote:
> Here's some interesting reading on "The Design of
> the New Portageville Bridge."
> https://www.arema.org/files/library/2013_Conferenc
> e_Proceedings/Desgin_of_New_Portageville_Bridge.pd
> f
>  

Indeed very interesting reading - thanks for posting. Interesting to note that double stack operation required doubling of original design of replacement bridge from wind loading rating of 300 lbs per linear foot to 600 lbs per linear foot. DS ops most often impact height/width clearances of structures. I'm guessing cuurent trestle isn't designed to such a standard.

Current NYSDOT project indicates schedule is running 1 year later than the arema report with completion in winter of 2017/2018: https://www.dot.ny.gov/portagevillebridge

For those with local access to Letchworth Park, please keep us updated with photos of bridge construction progress. TIA!

Date: 04/24/15 03:48
Author: sparky52t

Very nice! I nominate someone with a nice drone and video camera to head up to Letchworth State Park and do some serious videography!!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1753 seconds