Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CP line Binghamton to Delanson

Date: 04/24/15 08:48
CP line Binghamton to Delanson
Author: mp208

Will be going up that way next week.  What are the daylight trains on a normal weekday and what is the CP radio frequency.
Thanking you in advance.

Date: 04/24/15 09:30
Re: CP line Binghamton to Delanson
Author: waivethefive

It all depends on hows things are running that day but that section can be busy. NS 931, NS 930, NS 939, NS 938, NS 943, NS 942, CP 934, CP 935, CP 252 and CP 253 are all possible in daylight. The 252 lately has been running into Binghamton under the cover of dark.  The 931/930's have been all over the place. They both normally run during the day but there is no telling ahead of time.  

161.475 - CP Road between Sunbury, PA and CPF 503 (south end of the siding at Delanson).
161.100 - CP Road north of CPF 503.  
160.590 - CP Binghamton Yard 
160.800 - NS Southern Tier

Date: 04/25/15 07:02
Author: march_hare

Agree on the previous post for freqs and times. 

As for train catching strategies, the siding at Delanson is double length and is often used for three way meets. Northbounds often get held for lengthy periods if the Schenectady/mechanicville area is congested. Long southbounds are often held at the midpoint of the siding (Gage Rd) to avoid fouling the crossing at Youngs Road. 

Linhting on Richmondville Hill is only favorable for north bounds until 10 AM or so.  After this, a good  strategy is to check the Delanson end of the siding to see if there's a southbound lined up. Wait it out there (very limited access between there and Schenectady anyway) and you have an excellent chance of a good chase over the hill. 

Date: 04/25/15 08:38
Author: Lackawanna484

How are the local police along the chase route these days?  There used  to be a few speed traps / police in waiting along the local roads.

Date: 04/25/15 10:15
Author: NS9743

Isn't that line soon to be NS?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/25/15 11:36
Author: JPB

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How are the local police along the chase route
> these days?  There used  to be a few speed traps
> / police in waiting along the local roads.

I occasionally see State Troopers on I-88 lying in wait in various places but rarely do I see a cop on Rte 7, which is a better bet for fishing for a train on the A&S unless you already know where your train is (except Oneonta and Cobleskill will slow you down). It can be time consuming to turn around on I-88 if you find an opposing train.

Date: 04/25/15 16:07
Author: march_hare

Classic speed trap locations on I88 are at the bottom of the hill coming down from Duanesburg  into the Hudson Valley (westbound) and another westbound between Worcester and Schenevus. That one is in an area where the eb and wb lanes are separated and he can hide in the woods between them. 

Little need for speed, though. Perfectly sane driving can get you a whole bunch of shots. 

Good. locations to check out:

overpasses at Emmons exit E of  Oneonta, Schenevus, and Otego. All directly accessible from I88. 
seward Lake W of Schenevus
Brooker Hollow Rd E of E Worcester 
Rte 7 overpass at Richmondville summit
W Richmondville grade crossing
Howes Cave cement plant
Central Bridge

enjoy. It's a great chase. 

Beware of trespassing on tracks in Cobleskill. A number of Earp wannabes on the local PD. There's a good pedestrian overpass at E end of town. Theoretically abandoned but accessible. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds