Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Miami to Havana cargo ferry plans underway

Date: 04/24/15 10:00
Miami to Havana cargo ferry plans underway
Author: Lackawanna484

The Wall Street Journal reports that several companies have filed plans to operate ferry boat serice between Miami FL and Cuba. The ferries would focus on cargo in both directions and might carry passengers. The 250 mile trip would take about 13-14 hours,  according to the proponents.  Approvals would be needed from Cuban authorities and from the US State Department as the service crosses an international border.

Although the article focuses on the port of Miami, it is likely that services from Fort Lauderdale, Riviera Beach (80 miles away), and possibly Fort Pierce (120 miles away) might also be proposed.  CSX currently serves Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and Riviera Beach / Port of Palm Beach, while the FEC serves all four port operations.  Fort Pierce has a number of cargo ships which serve the smaller Caribbean islands, and an unused lead from the FEC main to the piers.

Destination Cuba: Ferry Operators

Date: 04/24/15 10:54
Re: Miami to Havana cargo ferry plans underway
Author: sums007

In Miami, at least, CSX does not come to the port [unless they have rights over the FEC].  The FEC has just upgraded its port facility in Miami, and seem better poised than CSX to serve this potential market.

Date: 04/24/15 12:27
Author: MDH

Rebuild the FEC to Key West!

;)

Date: 04/24/15 12:36

Thank you, Mr. Flagler! 

Date: 04/24/15 13:33
Author: Out_Of_Service

double deck rail ferries like are used in Mobil, Al.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CG_Railway

Posted from Android

Date: 04/24/15 14:46
Author: ironmtn

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> double deck rail ferries like are used in Mobil,
> Al.
>
> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CG_Railway

And which I had not known about. Thanks for this info. I have family in Mobile, and seeing this operation or even seeing the ship approach port would be worthwhile. Now on my list.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Date: 04/24/15 15:19
Author: tp117

I would imagine the focus of this article is all about highway or foot traffic, nobody thinks of rail traffic. Cuba is a consuming nation, not a country that produces much of what the USA and the rest of the world needs. Sugar products, cigars, maybe fruit, all truck traffic or intermodal. As far as I know there are no major coal, ore, oil or other mineral depsosits. No steel industry or paper plants or many chemical plants. There is no remaining rail-to-ferry facilities left on the East Coast that can handle any rail cars from trains to ferry, and probably none left in Cuba. The aforementioned double deck railcar ferry service from Mobile goes to Coatzacoalcos,MX in the very lower Gulf. It serves an area of Mexico that probably can be reached by ferry from Mobile in the same time or faster than direct trains from the states. 'Quat' is also a chemical producing area and receives a lot of US grain inbound to Yucatan area receivers. It has been a long tome since I have read about this service so I do not know if it still exists or not, or how successful it may be. You can see the docking facilities on both ends on Google Earth. A glance at a globe shows that Havann,a Cuba or nearby would be even closer to Mobile that Coatzacoalcos. If there is a demand for service and someone funds building dock facilities in Cuba that is where any rail service may be likely to begin. Mobile geographically can draw from a much greater range of the USA and Canada that may produce what Cuba needs by rail than ports in Florida.

The other issue is the existing railroad infrastructure within Cuba. Last I heard it is very obsolete, and may not all be standard guage. Most lines may not be able to handle North American standard railcars of 286k GWR or even the 25 year old standard of 263k GWR. There is a lot to consider here before any rail service to Cuba begins. My own opinion is that when significant new trade begins wit Cuba that Crowley Maritime and Seaboad Marine will be big players as they are already well established in the Carribean for intermodal sea trade. It will be tug/barge units or small ships, and all trailer or container traffic, IMHO.

Revelation Video did two programs on Cuba in 2002 and this would be a good place to start understanding the country .Ron's productions are very informative and entertaining. IF there is any major rail - oriented type of business potential in Cuba I sure would like to be informed. Thank you. John  .

Date: 04/24/15 18:00
Author: HaggisKennedy

I wonder if the Cuban rail system isn't built to the USSR standard.  They gave the Cubans a lot of stuff.

Date: 04/24/15 18:07
Author: LTCerny

The Cuban system is standard gauge.  Only some of the sugar plantation lines were narrow.

Date: 04/24/15 22:20
Author: lapklub

CSX does not access any of the ports on the east coast of FL directly.  They did at one time have a lead into Port Everglades in Ft Lauderdale until I-595 was built.  Back in the Seaboard days there was a track that wound it's way over towards the Port of Miami from the line that went to the Seaboard station, but I'm not sure if it actually went in to the Port.  In Riviera Beach where the Port of Palm Beach actually is CSX has no direct access. They do connect with FEC via Mission Spur and in W Palm Beach at around 26th St.  CSX does serve the Port of Tampa on the west coast of FL.  FEC does handle CSX intermodal from Jacksonville to south FL.  Some of that traffic may export out the Port to points in South America or Caribbean.
Mike

Date: 04/25/15 03:43

If the IRIS connection is built in NW Miami for Tri-Rail to go downtown to the new AAF MiamiCentral station, they could have access over the FEC to its port line.

Date: 04/25/15 05:26
Author: DJ-12

tp117 Wrote:
>
> My own opinion is that when significant
> new trade begins wit Cuba that Crowley Maritime
> and Seaboad Marine will be big players as they are
> already well established in the Carribean for
> intermodal sea trade. It will be tug/barge units
> or small ships, and all trailer or container
> traffic, IMHO.

Considering Crowley is a major FEC intermodal shipper, FEC is well positioned to serve the Cuba market. As others have noted they handle CSXs IM service to Miami as well as NS's. It will be interesting to see how much freight and how many marine boxes make their way to Miami vs other ports like Charleston and Savannah, but I can't see the reopening of the Cuban market as being anything but a very good development for FEC.

Date: 04/25/15 16:13
Author: march_hare

Cuba does have some notable mineral deposits. Chiefly nickel IIRC. 

Date: 04/25/15 17:02

Doesn't CSX have potential access to the Port of Palm Beach via a lead off 25th? street

I checked it out last year, and it didn't seem very used, however

Date: 04/25/15 17:20
Author: CZ10

.... and Flagler replied "Go to Key West".(photo courtesy of the Monroe County Library)

Date: 04/27/15 11:58
Author: Pumbaamd

When the webcam is facing the right direction, you can see FEC at the Port of Miami and the trestle that connects Dodge Island to downtown Miami. Most activity seems to be early afternoon to after evening  auto rush hour.  They work seven days when neccessary, and that is most of the time.
http://portmiamiwebcam.com/

Date: 04/30/15 15:03
Author: chs7-321

HaggisKennedy Wrote:
> I wonder if the Cuban rail system isn't built to
> the USSR standard.  They gave the Cubans a lot of
> stuff.

This would basically mean North American loading gauge at European axle loads.

But I think the Cuban rail system is built more to the North American standards of 1940s and 50s.....

Date: 04/30/15 20:18
Author: emd_run8

Thank you for the ferry info, ironmtn.   Never knew.
Tommy

Date: 05/03/15 11:27
Author: ironmtn

emd_run8 Wrote:
> Thank you for the ferry info, ironmtn.   Never
> knew.
> Tommy

Thanks, Tommy, but credit where credit is due: I think the thanks belong to Out_of_Service. He is the one who posted the link for the ferry service out of Mobile. I would have never known about that service either save for his post.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Date: 05/05/15 17:58

Four ferry licenses have been issued. And, Jet Blue authorized to provide charter service from NY.

Ferry

At this point, it appears that only passenger services are contemplated. Freight, which would help FEC, is still in the future

Approved

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.5114 seconds