Home Open Account Help 355 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Some Nice Color on the Westland Branch

Date: 04/25/15 04:56
Some Nice Color on the Westland Branch
Author: jmbreitigan

Yesterday my wife and I decided to go over to Southview, PA. and do some walking on the Montour trail. It was a beautiful day so I decided to bring my camera and scanner hoping to catch the daily WE 6433 run to Mark West Liberty's Houston Rail Yard (Marcellus Gas) via the Westland Branch.  Lately there has been an array of non-traditional W&LE painted locomotives on this run and I was looking for some good old Tiger stripe paint. I was in luck. I heard the WE 643 get the OK to head from Rook yard (Carnegie, PA.) west. I had about 20 minutes before the train arrived at Southview. I decided to pick a spot near MPK 69. I took a picture here once before with a friend but a gray ghost (#6356) was leading and today I overheard that #6311 would be leading and it was in traditional W&LE color. While waiting around I decided to do some exploring in the woods. Bad move on my part. When the train is on the move not much is heard on the scanner until the automatic switch is interrogated at "George". Well the train snuck up on me and I hurried back to get a real quick shot of the train. #1 image can be my "Not Being Ready candidate for IOTD". anyway I did get a decent shot of W&LE #6384 leading the train down the Westland Branch from the main at "George"

1. Half of #6311. The MP marker looks nice, lol.

2. #6384 is on the rear of the train which has pulled past the automatic switch at "George" The train will now reverse down onto the Westland Branch headed to the yard.

3. W&LE #6384 leading WE 643 in the process of dropping onto the Westland Branch from the main. This crossing is used to maintian the automatic switch at "George"

Two more pictures...................

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/15 05:03 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 04/25/15 05:02
Re: Some Nice Color on the Westland Branch

4. A going away shot of the WE643. This is the front of the train I was hoping to get at MPK 69. You may be able to just make out Galati road through the branches of the tree to the right. Anyway there is a RR Crossing there and on the other side is a parking lot for access to the Montour trail which is on the other side of the train. That is Southview road on the right, going under the train.

5. All this talk about that automatic switch warranted a picture I took of it right after the install in November of 2012. The view is looking west.

Thank you for looking, John

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/15 05:06 by jmbreitigan.

Date: 04/25/15 05:07
Author: FEC2000

Nice John!  Looks like some heavy rail replacement about to take place!

Date: 04/25/15 05:30

FEC2000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice John!  Looks like some heavy rail
> replacement about to take place!

Thank you Jeff. From what I could see of the existing track on the main. It needs replaced.

Date: 04/25/15 06:47
Author: agrafton

Nice series John, nice mix of locations with a photgraphic views, I like #2 with the green signal and the third rail...lol
Last photo " switch control to Major Tom"
Alan

Date: 04/25/15 06:51
Author: Out_Of_Service

really nice shots John

Posted from Android

Date: 04/25/15 13:16
Author: ut-1

Fine pics!

Date: 04/25/15 13:20
Author: ns1000

I like the look of Pic 4!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0705 seconds