Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Conrail Middle Division

Date: 05/19/15 14:17
Conrail Middle Division
Author: kecarden

What year did Conrail removed the 3 track between Harris and going into Altoona?, and if so did they do them in segments at different times, and if anyone have pictures of the 2 track main can you post them please!

Date: 05/19/15 14:28
Re: Conrail Middle Division
Author: reel_smooth

I want to say mid-80's, but, I'm going to check w/ someone who may remember better than me.

** Checked w/ my oldest brother & he believes 1984-1985. Done in segments. He also believes that there are pictures on the net somewhere. **

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/15 14:54 by reel_smooth.

Date: 05/19/15 16:02
Re: Conrail Middle Division
Author: onblock

The project began in the Altoona area and moved eastward. The Railroad Video Pennsylvanian cab ride from June 1985 shows that by then a track had been removed from service as far as the new Long interlocking, three miles west of Lewistown. Oddly, at that time, all the towers were still manned except for Antis and Spruce. That soon changed; by fall, the new interlocking at Hawstone was the first manned location east of Altoona. The segment involving what had been the PRR Middle Division mainline was completed by late summer/fall of 1986. Of course, track two between Marysville and Duncannon and the interlocking at Duncannon were taken out of service after View tower was destroyed in a February 1982 derailment.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds