Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Thundering Up The Sauquoit Valley: NYS&W Utica NY Branch

Date: 05/22/15 17:09
Thundering Up The Sauquoit Valley: NYS&W Utica NY Branch
Author: ut-1

CSX GP 38 2732 & NYS&W GP 40 3040 power a 12 car freight up the Sauquoit Valley, ascending Paris Hill's 1.8% grade, en route to Sangerfield, NY on the chilly & blustery morning of May 20, 2015.

The freight is first shown running parallel to the Sauquoit Creek in Chadwicks, then from overlooks in Clayville & Paris Station.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/22/15 20:16
Re: Thundering Up The Sauquoit Valley: NYS&W Utica NY Branch
Author: cctgm

Wow 5000 hp for 12 cars what a waste of fuel when the GP38 or the GP40 could pull the 1.8% grade at track speed by it's self ,fuel is one of a railroads biggests costs nice video though of an area from my old EL days in the early 1970's my  family is from Utica.

have a safe holiday weekend

Date: 05/23/15 04:35
Author: speederman01

Nice Video!   Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Date: 05/23/15 07:45
Author: rev66vette

cctgm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow 5000 hp for 12 cars what a waste of fuel when
> the GP38 or the GP40 could pull the 1.8% grade at
> track speed by it's self ,fuel is one of a
> railroads biggests costs nice video though of an
> area from my old EL days in the early 1970's my
>  family is from Utica.
>
> have a safe holiday weekend

Don't really know it that's an accurate assessment,  especially when one takes in the characteristics of the line and loads/empties versus tonnage ratings, etc... . I know that the requirements for the Delaware Lackawanna over the Poconos is 7 loads/ 12 empties per unit...it's all about tonnage ratings, not to mention how many cars one is picking up, etc....Another reason many RR's use multiple units is in the event one breaks down....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/15 07:52 by rev66vette.

Date: 05/23/15 14:41
Author: SpeederDriver

The Rock lives!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds