Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "Flour Child" on Sand Patch

Date: 05/24/15 07:38
"Flour Child" on Sand Patch
Author: cinder

On Friday afternoon, an empty coal train came west over Sand Patch.....with a surprise assist from a helper set.  The pictures were taken on the east slope between the Philson and NA signals.  Noteworthy is the white-dusted helper #4010.  This engine and its partner had just decsended on the rear of a loaded coal train three hours before.  I assumed the set was to be serviced and washed in Cumberland.  But no, it was immediately sent back up the mountain on the empty haul.

So, what is with the white stuff?  Did the set work a flour mill?

Date: 05/24/15 10:09
Re: "Flour Child" on Sand Patch
Author: bridgeportsub

Looks like an mty Santee Cooper train. Unusual that they ran the mtys west over Sand Patch and with a helper. Normally they run those mtys to Grafton and then up the Fairmont side to NS and then to Newell. The loads always go back east over Sand Patch so they don't have break into 2 cuts.

Randy

Date: 05/24/15 10:45
Author: garr

The 4010 has white wash streaks similar to cabooses and cars that were on the Southern Railway/NS that were in kaolin service. Also similar to the boxcars that were in lime hauling service.

However my guess is that with this being a CSX unit, it might have received the white wash in phosphate service in Florida even though 4 axle units seem to be the preferred power for that service.

But, your guess of flour is probably as good as mine.

Jay

Date: 05/24/15 12:09
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!! Cool catch too...!!

Date: 05/24/15 13:23
Author: hoydie17

garr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 4010 has white wash streaks similar to
> cabooses and cars that were on the Southern
> Railway/NS that were in kaolin service. Also
> similar to the boxcars that were in lime hauling
> service.
>
> However my guess is that with this being a CSX
> unit, it might have received the white wash in
> phosphate service in Florida even though 4 axle
> units seem to be the preferred power for that
> service.
>
> But, your guess of flour is probably as good as
> mine.
>
> Jay

Seems like flour would wash off pretty quickly in a light rain.  Wonder if it was working in cement service recently.

Date: 05/24/15 13:32
Author: wmfan3798

Whatever it is the 743 looks like it has it just on the tailend.

ernie

Date: 05/24/15 16:10
Author: cinder

You are probably correct hoydie17.  But flour made for a more catchy title....No, I really don't think it is flour.....but not white coal dust either!

Date: 05/25/15 11:41
Author: 2839Canadian

Is that new hyper-agressive CSX cop still harrasing railfans on public property in the Sand Patch/Magnolia Cutoff areas?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0332 seconds