Home Open Account Help 216 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Kentucky Teen Killed Walking on CSX Tracks

Date: 06/12/15 19:55
Kentucky Teen Killed Walking on CSX Tracks
Author: AKYtrainNut

A 14 year old was killed walking facing a CSX train with possible ear buds in. Engineer slowed down but couldn't stop as well as blowing the Nathans! He lived close to wear it happened so would have been aware of train traffic, accident??

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Teen-Seriously-Injured-In-Floyd-Co-Train-Crash-307193901.html

Date: 06/13/15 09:01
Re: Kentucky Teen Killed Walking on CSX Tracks
Author: Auburn_Ed

Wearing earbuds and looking down at his phone (or mp3 player).  Sounds like about 90% of young people today.  I'm suprised we don't lose more.  What a shame. I only hope ALL HIS friends learned a lesson. 

Ed

Date: 06/13/15 09:32
Author: Out_Of_Service

most parents today are too busy trying to make their lives of their family work and don't realize or should i say take the time to realize that in today's world, the personal electronic devices are a MAJOR distraction to the safety of their children and the parents of kids today need to instill into their children the importance of self and situational awareness and not take for granted the safety of their children ... sorry to say but what happened to that 14 y/o boy is a perfect example of that ...

Date: 06/13/15 11:50
Author: NSClevelandLine

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> most parents today are too busy trying to make
> their lives of their family work and don't realize
> or should i say take the time to realize that in
> today's world, the personal electronic devices are
> a MAJOR distraction to the safety of their
> children and the parents of kids today need to
> instill into their children the importance of self
> and situational awareness and not take for granted
> the safety of their children ... sorry to say but
> what happened to that 14 y/o boy is a perfect
> example of that ...

Some kids no matter what you teach them, and how often, will do what they want to do. Period.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/13/15 13:29
Author: Out_Of_Service

NSClevelandLine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Out_Of_Service Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > most parents today are too busy trying to make
> > their lives of their family work and don't
> realize
> > or should i say take the time to realize that
> in
> > today's world, the personal electronic devices
> are
> > a MAJOR distraction to the safety of their
> > children and the parents of kids today need to
> > instill into their children the importance of
> self
> > and situational awareness and not take for
> granted
> > the safety of their children ... sorry to say
> but
> > what happened to that 14 y/o boy is a perfect
> > example of that ...
>
>
> Some kids no matter what you teach them, and how
> often, will do what they want to do. Period.
>
> Posted from Android

point taken ... ANY way ya look at it, it's a sad situation for such a young life to perish and for those involved especially the family left behind to pick up the pieces

Date: 06/13/15 14:40
Author: wa4umr

Cell phones, MP3 players, etc... are great devices but they are awful distractions.  My grand kids, 8 and 10 think they are going to die if they don't have them with them at all times.  I take them to a museum or a ballgame and I make them leave them in the car.  "But Papaw!"  Sorry, but the phones don't go with you.  

I used to be a Boy Scout leader, way back in the days before smart phones.  When we went to summer camp we told the kids to leave their electronic games at home.  They didn't.  Games would get dirt in them, dropped in the lake, lost, or stolen (that's another word for lost).  When you needed them to do something or get ready for chow, it was always, "Just a minute (while if finish the game.)"

We talk about people getting hit by trains here on trainorders but I wonder how many get hit by cars everyday?

John

Date: 06/14/15 10:38
Author: dcfbalcoS1

From the statement of  " especially the family left behind to pick up the pieces "  True, . . . . yet Uuugghhhhh.   I probably would have put it a different way. Either way, one removed from the gene pool that apparently did not have the commom sense to care about himself. Yes, some of this really is common sense - you either got it or don't.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0553 seconds