Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway bike train last weekend

Date: 07/02/15 19:21
Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway bike train last weekend
Author: OCtrainguy

Last Saturday, I rode the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway bicycle train.  Unfortunately, Mother Nature wasn't kind and we got a lot of rain.  My wife, son and I made the most of it despite the conditions.  The train leaves Jim Thorpe and heads 25 miles into the Lehigh Gorge State Park up to White Haven, where the bicyclists make their way on the trail back to Jim Thorpe.  For those interested in the train ride itself, the LGSR does offer round trip tickets.  The train had a new to the R&N GP30 (The R&N calls them GP39s) on one end and a SD50 on the other.  The bicycles are stored in the open air car during the trip and are loaded and unloaded for you.  The ride is downgrade from White Haven to Jim Thorpe and is very scenic.  I would definitely do the bike train again, just without the rain.  You can select your day and be excited as I was, but Mother Nature holds the final card.  Here are some photos.

1.  On June 27th, the train is boarding bicycles and passengers at Jim Thorpe
2.  The bicycles being unloaded in White Haven
3.  The view of the trail between White Haven and Rockport  

A few more photos to follow. 

Date: 07/02/15 19:25
Re: Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway bike train last weekend

On Sunday, we visited a few shops in downtown Jim Thorpe, but was able to get down to the station for a few photos.

4.  The 9:30 a.m. train returning to Jim Thorpe
5.  The loading process underway for the 12:30 p.m. train
6.  Another photo of R&N 2532

Hope you enjoy the photos.  

Date: 07/02/15 19:36
Author: cutboy2

Looks   VERY fun.

Date: 07/03/15 06:46
Author: icancmp193

I would suspect it is a gentle downgrade most of the way?

Tom Y

Date: 07/03/15 12:47
Author: Tominde

The bike ride is mostly down grade, but don't be fooled.  There is a fair amount of pedaling.  No hills to climb.   It really is a neat way to railfan and take in the old infrastructure.

Date: 07/03/15 14:19
Author: ns1000

NIIIIIIICE....!!

It has been awhile since I was there.........need to go back. Great scenery.....

Date: 07/03/15 14:41
Author: PasadenaSub

Great assortment of pictures.  The trip I took on the LGSR 5 years ago ranks as one of my best all-time tourist train rides.  The downpour at the turnaround point was really memorable.

Rich

Date: 07/03/15 15:10
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice series of pictures. I am assuming you did not ride back on your bicycles. From the looks of your picture of the trail it would have been pretty nasty ride. 
John

Date: 07/04/15 06:35

jmbreitigan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice series of pictures. I am assuming you did not
> ride back on your bicycles. From the looks of your
> picture of the trail it would have been pretty
> nasty ride. 
> John

The trail did take a beating from the rain, but we did complete the ride.  There were several spots where the trail was real soft, so we walked the bikes for a bit.  When we got to M&H Junction (I think that's what it's called where NS splits off for Hazelton and the R&N continues toward White Haven) a park ranger was there and he was able to take my wife down to the car as her back wasn't allowing her to continue (she had spinal fusion surgery), so my son and I did finish the ride.  The puddles were more frequent and bigger south of there.  

Definitely a nice downgrade ride though, and want to do it again when the weather is nicer.  Thanks for the compliments everyone.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1188 seconds