Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Pennsy PL signals on the NS Chicago Line

Date: 07/03/15 15:05
Pennsy PL signals on the NS Chicago Line
Author: calumet

I'm told the Pennsy position light signals at CP506 (east end of Colelhour Yard) have been removed.  The rest are likely to go soon, including those just east of the Hammond-Whiting Amtrak station.

This work is part of the Indiana Gateway project for improving traffic flow on the Chicago Line between the Illinois line and Porter Jct.

Date: 07/03/15 16:00
Re: Pennsy PL signals on the NS Chicago Line
Author: SlipperyWhenWet

And not a moment to soon, good riddance to those old pieces of garbage

Posted from Android

Date: 07/03/15 20:42
Author: Mastadon

You were mis-informed. As of July 3rd, all of the PRR signals at CP 507 in Hammond are still in full use. For now. The two cantilevers are still standing and operating (with Safetrans replacements standing but swung to the side). The full signal bridge to the east is also still standing and operating with its Safetrans replacement lying on the ground awaiting installation. It could go any day now, but they are all still standing and operating.

1-NS 205 passes under the bridge with the Nickel Plate leading.
2-The replacement bridge awaits erection as a SD60E passes. Just talk dirty to it...

I didn't shoot the western-most signals tonight since they were backlit and my emphesis was on the westbound shot. But they are all still standing and operating as of 7/3/2015.

-Don Kalkman
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mastadon4935/

Date: 07/04/15 10:01
Author: colehour

Thanks for the post. I had thought about posting this news, but obviously didn't get around to it. 

New signals are up and operating just west of 117th Street in Whiting. They replaced the old NYC-style (I think) signals that were on the track than transitions from the ex-NYC main to the ex-PRR main. 

The signal bridge east of the Hammond-Whiting station is vintage PRR, perhaps one of the last standing these days. The signals west of the station are indeed PL, but the bridge is not, at least I don't think so. This signal bridge has been here as long as I can remember. (I grew up in Whiting in the '50s.)

While I will be sad to see a piece of history go, I'm sure the new signals will make life easier for train crews. 

Date: 07/04/15 17:44
Author: calumet

Mastadon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You were mis-informed. As of July 3rd, all of the
> PRR signals at CP 507 in Hammond are still in full
> use. For now. The two cantilevers are still
> standing and operating (with Safetrans
> replacements standing but swung to the side). The
> full signal bridge to the east is also still
> standing and operating with its Safetrans
> replacement lying on the ground awaiting
> installation. It could go any day now, but they
> are all still standing and operating.

It's not a big deal, but no, I wasn't misinformed.  Everything you say here is agrees with what I said.

Date: 07/05/15 04:04
Author: sums007

Aren't those photos of CP 506?  CP 507 did not look like that when I used to hang out there.

Date: 07/06/15 16:58
Author: colehour

The new signal bridge is in place and the new signals are operating just west of the PRR signal bridge at MP 506. This morning the position light signals were still operating. They sure did the work in a short time.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.061 seconds