Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > One Hundred Years of History.....Gone in One Hour!

Date: 07/27/15 15:36
One Hundred Years of History.....Gone in One Hour!
Author: Sand-Patch-Tom

It was a sad day on Norfolk Southern's Port Road Branch today as the original Pennsy Signals came down!  NS started the project last year to use only cab signals for signal indication on the Port Road Branch making the Pennsy signals obsolete.  Since NO intermediate signals will be called out by the crews anymore (since they are not there) it will be harder to know when a train is coming.  Luckily Wago Junction and Shocks Mill Junction are nearby and the crews will still call out those signals to the dispatcher.  
Photo 1:  I live up on top of the hill above the 476E and 477W signals and when I came home today this is what I saw!  I know the Shocks Mill Bridge went up in 1905 but in what year were these signals erected?
Photo 2:  Big yellow "X's" denote that the relay cabinets are coming down also.
Photo 3:  The 476E signal was hung on the last remaining piece of Catenary in my area and one would assume it will be coming down also.

Continued.....

Date: 07/27/15 15:39
Re: One Hundred Years of History.....Gone in One Hour!
Author: Sand-Patch-Tom

....three more photos.  These signals are absolutly huge up close!  Tom

Date: 07/27/15 16:25
Author: wingomann

You're not going to get one for your yard? 

Date: 07/27/15 16:30
Author: colehour

Sigh...the same thing just happened to the signals at CP506 in Hammond, IN. They were working at 7:40 am, and 12 hours later when I drove by the new Safetran signals were up and running. 

Date: 07/27/15 17:12
Author: agrafton

Sad, about 9 years ago they took down the old B&O CPL's on the CSX New Castle Sub at BG124, I ask the foreman if any chance of getting it and he told me where.
So I got one head with all eight lights ended taking it apart and painting it but not all together yet. When I retire.....I am retired.
Alan

Date: 07/27/15 19:26
Author: CSXT_8437

Is this section of railroad now signalled in both direction, or is current of traffic still in effect?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 07/28/15 00:13
Author: Out_Of_Service

a daggar in my back !!!

Date: 07/28/15 10:36
Author: Emmo213

Seriously try to  (legally) save one as eventually there won't be any more of these left. I have an N&W CPL that needs some parts but that I'm slowly working on it. They're extremely heavy but also very awesome. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds