Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Best train watching spots in Wisconsin for a day!

Date: 07/27/15 16:21
Best train watching spots in Wisconsin for a day!
Author: spsniper

Will be in Wisconsin this week!  I have a 1 or 2 full days to watch trains, and can go anywhere in the state.  Where would be the best location or locations in your opinion for such a short time!
A friend mentioned Jct City!
Thanks in advance!

Date: 07/27/15 16:27
Re: Best train watching spots in Wisconsin for a day!
Author: railfaneric

I guess you could Go to La Crosse if you want to see BNSF and CP, That's if you're going to the western part. If you're going to the Eastern part try the Up Kenosha sub Because Ns 8100 is on its way, that is if you haven't seen it yet.  I have a place in Wisconsin that I visit.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/15 16:56 by railfaneric.

Date: 07/27/15 18:14
Author: NSTopHat

It depends on where you will be in WI. I was in the Milwaukee area last week, and trekked an hour and a half so south to Rochelle, IL and saw 30 trains in 6 hours on Thursday.

I used to live there and there are a number of great spots. Duplainville is where CP/Amtrak crosses the CN (ex WC). Downtown MKE has a bunch of great locations for both CP and UPas they cross each other twice in MKE.

Out west you can chase BNSF btw Prarie du Chien and Lacrosse along the Mississippi River, and in Lacrosse CP comes into play.

Fond du Lac has the ex WC (Soo Line) Yard and Shops. Just south of FDL is the climb up Byron Hill, several great spots along the hill to shoot, includimg the return spots for the manned helpers.

Portage is a crew change point on the CP, north of Madison. You can also chase the WI Southern as well.throughout SE WI, but frequency can be sporadic from what I understand.

If you are in the far north Arctic region of WI, you get into the Iron Ore regions as well.

Hope this helps.

Russ

Posted from Android

Date: 07/27/15 20:58
Author: illini73

spsniper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A friend mentioned Jct City!

That's just west of Stevens Point on the CN (Wisconsin Central [Soo Line {Wisconsin Central}]) where the ex-Milwaukee Road "Wisconsin Valley" line crosses.  I wouldn't go there, though:   not enough trains.  Since you said you could go anywhere, I'd pick LaCrosse:  BNSF up and down the Mississippi, CP east to Tunnel City and up the west side of the river to Winona, Amtrak trains 7/8, and the construction projects on BNSF reported here on TO.  Might want to get some advice from TO members in the area about work windows in connection with the latter, though.  If the BNSF is shut down during the day for track and CTC work, I might change my recommendation.  Have a look on the Western board.

Date: 07/28/15 12:35
Author: spsniper

Thanks guys!  Do any of you know how many trains pass thru on the Bryon Hill line in a day?  Sounds cool with manned helpers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/15 12:35 by spsniper.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.042 seconds