Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Runaway Hopper: 6 Days Later, Work Begins at Utica's Union Sta

Date: 07/27/15 19:28
Runaway Hopper: 6 Days Later, Work Begins at Utica's Union Sta
Author: ut-1

This video shows some of the initial work at Utica, NY's Union Station, six days after a runaway covered hopper containing plastic pellets traveled approx 2.5 miles, attaining an estimated top speed of 40MPH, before striking NY Central 6721, a 0-6-0 steamer owned by the Utica & Mohawk Valley Chapter of the NRHS. 6721 & its tender were positioned at the very end of New York,Susquehanna & Western's passenger lead into Union Station.

The tender breached Union Station, entering by a stairwell.

Earlier discussions here: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3799388 

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3802414

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/27/15 20:35
Re: Runaway Hopper: 6 Days Later, Work Begins at Utica's Union St

Date: 07/28/15 00:29
Author: Out_Of_Service

a pulitzer for this writer is in order ...

"Last week, the train car, which was parked near the Susuquehanna Railroad Station, broke loose, causing a minor car accident and colliding with an intique locomotive, damaging Union Station"

Date: 07/28/15 05:58
Author: agrafton

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a pulitzer for this writer is in order ...
>
> "Last week, the train car, which was parked near
> the Susuquehanna Railroad Station, broke loose,
> causing a minor car accident and colliding with an
> intique locomotive, damaging Union Station"

Agree, nice follow up video !!

Date: 07/28/15 14:44

The suspect may NOT be charged.

Read about it here:

http://www.uticaod.com/article/20150728/NEWS/150729430

Date: 07/28/15 15:23
Author: choodude

Why can't folks tell the difference between a brake and a break?

"At the time of the incident, officials said the released break caused the rail car’s momentum to drive it north on the tracks."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/15 15:43 by choodude.

Date: 07/28/15 21:49
Author: wa4umr

Thanks for covering this.  Well done.  

choodude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why can't folks tell the difference between a
> brake and a break?
>
> "At the time of the incident, officials said the
> released break caused the rail car’s momentum to
> drive it north on the tracks."
>
>  
I know the difference but sometime my fingers get mixed up.  The first time I posted a comment here on TO my fingers made a comment about how I "rode" something.  I know I rode it but I my fingers made the mistake.  I'm not without error but I see a lot of misuse of to, too, or there, their, or were and we're.   Spell checkers won't catch it.  The hardest thing to catch is your own errors.  In your mind, you know what you intended to type.

I just need to figure out the proper usage of effect and affect (and a bunch of other stuff.)

John

Date: 07/29/15 15:33
Author: Orient

At the very least, the father should take the child down to watch all the work being done due to his negligence. Have him stay there till it's all done with all the workers glaring at him.

Date: 07/30/15 09:54
Author: HB90MACH

He should be made to help in the repair work. Especially to the 0-6-0. Might change his tune especially since he would have a vested interest in seeing it damaged.

Date: 07/30/15 10:26
Author: HB90MACH

Somebody asked on one of the threads on this that could the walkway have collapsed. After seeing the different footage, that answer would be a resounding yes. It would have also done major damage to the station on the other side as well. Large number of possible injuries avoided by that little steamer.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds