Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Question for NY State railfans

Date: 08/02/15 05:10
Question for NY State railfans
Author: knightswell

My son and I drove from Windsor to Oneonta yesterday following the old D&H. We were looking for two diesels that he recalled seeing sitting on either side of Rt. 7 that he saw about 4 years ago. He thinks they might have been F units. We never did see them. So did we turn back too soon or have they been moved or scrapped? Any info is appreciated.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/15 06:14
Re: Question for NY State railfans
Author: pbrasky

Those are FL-9's (or were) owned by the Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley RR acquired from Metro North ~2001 or 2002 (?).

Date: 08/02/15 06:24

Are they still around? What town were they sitting in?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/15 06:37
Author: offthebeatentrack

Last time I saw them, they were sitting on a leg of the wye at Cooperstown Junction just a few miles north of Oneonta. They were near the two GG1's.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/15 06:50
Author: Pattenburg

I think the ones I saw are the same ones you are referring to. As of July 23 both of those units were in the Milford, NY yard of the Cooperstown and Charlotte Valley RR yard.

knightswell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are they still around? What town were they sitting
> in?
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/15 07:26

GG1s? Sounds like it's worth a drive back! Is the railroad railfan friendly?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/15 08:36
Author: boejoe

I thought I read, in the recent past, that the two GG-1s there were scrapped.  Can't recall if on site or if hauled away.  Did a search here on T.O. for Cooperstown Jct GG-1's but didn't find anything.  Perhaps I've confused these with other GG-1's that have met the torch.

Date: 08/02/15 09:17

I was talking about the F units. As for the railroad being friendly, I recommend asking permission first before wandering around on their property.
knightswell Wrote:
> GG1s? Sounds like it's worth a drive back! Is the
> railroad railfan friendly?
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/15 09:44

Just found out there was a railfan day there yesterday. Anybody go?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/15 09:46
Author: offthebeatentrack

knightswell Wrote:
> GG1s? Sounds like it's worth a drive back! Is the
> railroad railfan friendly?
>
> Posted from iPhone

So it sounds like the F's have been moved up the branch toward Cooperstown. The GG1's are (or were) parked on a siding along the CP/D&H main at Cooperstown Jct.

Date: 08/02/15 11:49
Author: pbrasky

Here's a link to the CACV's website, specifically their locomotives, including the FL-9's:  http://www.lrhs.com/?page_id=517

Date: 08/02/15 12:38

and here is my TO link to the thread about the CACV. Take not that in the last image you can see a partial glimpse of one of the FL-9s.
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3801286

Date: 08/02/15 15:20
Author: nkp759

knightswell Wrote:
> Just found out there was a railfan day there
> yesterday. Anybody go?

I did not attend but here is the railfan day announcement.  Note that the FL9's were involved in a photo shoot.

Date: 08/02/15 17:28
Author: melalbert

The C&CV threw open its doors and assembled a whole bunch of railroad vehicles for fans to enjoy. Bruce Hodges and the Leatherstocking Chapter of the NRHS are to be applauded for what they have accomplished with the C&CV. It is a fun place to visit at Milford and a fun ride to Cooperstown. Some of their equipment displays are of very unique pieces of equipment. Here is the FL9 moving into the Milford Yard during the day's activities. It was later fired up under its own power. 8223 is a Montreal Locomotive Works ALCo S7 which led an 8 mile round trip with multiple photo freight runbys from Milford to Cooperstown. The trip included an illustration of an ore dump car. A great day was had by railfans and all!

Date: 08/02/15 17:31

Other fun stuff included a hand powered velocipede which the kids young and old enjoyed, a two-person pump car, and my personal highlight, a ride on a track speeder at 20-30 mph for 2 miles or more out and back.

Date: 08/02/15 17:35

One final highlight was the former D&H Oneonta-based Big Hook in action (after they finally got the engine running; seems someone forgot to fill the gas tank). The all-volunteer Cooperstown and Charlotte Valley should be commended for putting on such a splendid show with such varied and unusual equipment.

Date: 08/02/15 17:42

Here are pictures of the GG1's at Cooperstown Junction earlier this year in March from a railfan trip.

Date: 08/02/15 18:47

Thanks melabert!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/03/15 07:38
Author: cjvrr

The railroad is VERY railfan friendly.   An a speeder trip I ran there a number of years ago they gave several members a thorough inspection of the GG-1s and several other pieces of equipment.  A great group of people work and volunteer there.

cv the civil e in nj

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0703 seconds