Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Justa general question about Gen Sets

Date: 08/02/15 13:15
Justa general question about Gen Sets
Author: ns2557

Over the last few days I have found a few of these units working and stored. More stored than working. In Melrose Park Ill I found the IHB 2142 working. In Mt Vernon Ill at the NRE facility there, I found the CP 2101 and 3 ex UP ones, the 2303/2308/2311, still in UP Pnt, but with NRE markings. And today, while travelling east thru PA and along US422, had the time to stop and shoot the B&P in Butler Pa. There, I saw the B&P 1400 & 1401, both apparently stored also.

I know the Mt Vernon/NRE location is where some of these are made, as there were others here also, including some for export, but what's the deal on these? They seem to me, to be not well liked by the roads that have them. The 2 CP units were returned to NRE and of them, I saw the 2101 out back almost out of sight. The 3 ex UP units looked like they may find a home in the NRE Leases fleet. As for the 2 B&P units, they looked ok, but were obviouslt not in service at the time.

Are the RR's having some problems that are now just cropping up and they, the units, are falling into dis-favor? 

Thanks for any thoughts.    Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/15 13:15 by ns2557.

Date: 08/02/15 13:32
Re: Justa general question about Gen Sets
Author: EH49

B&P 1400 has been out of service for well over a year now at Butler.

Date: 08/02/15 14:55
Author: ghemr

I can't speak for other railroads but on CSX, a 35 year old GP38-2 is probably more dependable than a Genset.....

Date: 08/03/15 10:49
Author: RickRowlands

Gensets were a solution to a nonexistent problem.  They are overly complicated and sependent on small prime movers and electronics that historically have never worked well in the railroad industry.  I assume most were purchased by the front office to appear to be "green", but the operating department has a way of seeing through gimmicks and sticking to tries and true robust technology.

Rick Rowlands
Hubbard, OH
Youngstown Steel Heritage

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0304 seconds