Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Boston question (slightly OT)

Date: 08/03/15 11:08
Boston question (slightly OT)
Author: dschlegel

I'm taking my wife and daughter up to Mystic CT next week, and we're toying with riding Amtrak from New London to South Station for a day.

What is there to do around South Station? I'm looking for things within walking distance.

Thanks!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/03/15 11:30
Re: Boston question (slightly OT)
Author: Gumcoach

My wife and I were just in Boston two weeks ago. I'd recommend purchasing a MBTA day pass when you arrive at South Station and that's good for subway, busses, and the ferry that runs across the harbor to the USS Consititution which is in dry dock being repaired. This way you're not limited to just walking distance. What to do depends on your interests but I would say a guided tour of the Freedom Trail would be good. Go to the North End and eat at an Italian restaurant is also a good idea (Panza has great food just as a suggestion). If you're in to history or ships then seeing the Constitution in dry drock is a very unique opportunity. Take the Green Line and get off at Copley for the Boston Marathon Finish Line.

Date: 08/03/15 11:40
Author: livesteamer

Having grown up in the Boston area, I MUST absolutely recommend the FREEDOM TRAIL.   It is 2.5 mile walking tour of the most important Boston landmarks (the stuff we all studied in AMerican Histroy) and can be completed in about 3-4 hours.  The T will getting you from South Station to Park Street with one transfer.    Here is the website:  www.thefreedomtrail.org

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 08/03/15 11:52
Author: JPB

dschlegel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm taking my wife and daughter up to Mystic CT
> next week, and we're toying with riding Amtrak
> from New London to South Station for a day.
>
> What is there to do around South Station? I'm
> looking for things within walking distance.
>
> Thanks!
> Dan
>
> Posted from iPhone

The waterfront is easy walking distance from South Station - lots of boats, Aquarium, ferries to Harbor islands, whale watches (all-day adventure), Faneuil Hall/Quincy Mkt (touristy stuff). Going west from BOS is Chinatown and Boston Common/Public Garden. I you're really energetic, stylish Newbury St is west of the Public Garden - good for people watching as well as the latest coiffure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/15 11:54 by JPB.

Date: 08/03/15 14:10

Thanks everyone! Does the Freedom trail get close to where the Tea Party occurred, and can anyone recommend good restaurants along the trail? We have a 5 year old who can be a bit picky when dining out.
Thanks again!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/03/15 19:50
Author: railrob

On the Freedom Trail in the Bunker Hill area there are almost no restaurants. Fanuiel Hall Marketplace has a large variety of dining choices and is a great area to visit . Durgin Park is one of the oldest restaurants in the country and has New England comfort food. Lots of memories from dining there as a child. Union Oyster House is also a very old restaurant with a seafood theme. Around the aquarium there many fine places to eat. Rowes Wharf Sea Grille and  Meritage in the Boston Harbor Hotel  offer harbor side view dining with the food and service beyond belief. Legal Seafoods in multiple locations is also great for fresh seafood. I would also second the suggestion of North End restaurants. There are many fine ones. A few other favorites are the Summer Shack and Atlantic Fish. I have a friend who is in Boston monthly working on her PHD and these are some of our recent dining choices.

Date: 08/03/15 21:09
Author: kpcmcpkva

What??? nobody mentioned the Swan Boats in the Boston Publoic Garden??   How could you cheat a kid out of That??

Take the "T" to Arington st Station. Walk thru  the Boston Public Garden and take a ride on the Swan Boats.  Continue across The Boston Common (Pasture) towards the T park st station
and pick up tjhe Freedom trail there.  Even if you only follow the trail to Goverment Center and Faniule Hall, you will get a large dose of history and a huge tast of Boston.

Date: 08/03/15 23:07
Author: wa4umr

It's been a few years since I was there but the Freedom Trail is just a few blocks from the South Station.  Just follow that and it will keep you busy all day. I think the area where the Tea Party cured has been a landfill and built on.  The area was just a block or two from South Station.  

There is a nice museum at the Boston Navy Yard, or more correctly, the Charlestown Navy Yard.  It's a very doable walk for just about anyone with a 5 year old.  I was there with a friend that just wanted to take a Ride on Amtrak.  Boston worked great for our schedule.  Arrived in the morning.  Walked around all day and ended up at the Navy Yard.  Took the subway back to BOS, ate at the McDonald's in the station and boarded the train back home.  I was about 60 years old at the time.  We walked our legs off but we survived.

BTW, I never did find the McDonald's that Paul Revere used to eat at.  Have a great trip.

John

Date: 08/04/15 03:23
Author: Gumcoach

I forgot about the Swan boats. Also in the public garden is the "Make Way for Ducklings" sculptures. Kids love that especially if they know the book.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/04/15 05:17
Author: sixaxlealco

Another nice thing to do if you have a 5 year old is walk over to the Boston Fire Engine Museum. It's not a far walk from South Station towards the waterfront. There are 2-3 antique fire engines and it is maintained by retired firefighters. When my kids were young they always enjoyed going there. It's also free, but a donation to the upkeep is appreciated!

Michael Thomas
SixAxleAlco

Date: 08/04/15 06:37
Author: livesteamer

I believe that the site of the Boston Tea Party is within walking distance of South Station (maybe one or two block northeast of the station) near the Congress Street bridge.  Google the Boston Tea Party and should bring of their web site with the map.  BTW, the Boston dining exprience is in a word is "expensive"....I believe more so than any other place in New England.   But, if you are into seafood, there may be no better place on earth.  

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 08/04/15 18:55

This is all great information, thank you very much everyone!
Dan

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0684 seconds