Home Open Account Help 180 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Question on the W&LE

Date: 08/03/15 11:32
Question on the W&LE
Author: yhandf

We’re taking a quick trip to Akron and Cleveland, Ohio this weekend and I was hoping to take advantage of the opportunity to catch some W&LE action in the area.  I know very little about the operations of the W&LE other that some of the basics I’ve seen posted in the forums here.  I do know that whenever we’re driving around Akron that I’ve noticed a W&LE yard and always think “maybe next trip”….well, it’s time! 

I only have a few hours on Saturday evening/night to look around, so any tips or information would be appreciated.  I have no idea if the W&LE operates on weekends or during this timeframe, so I’d appreciate knowing if there is any possibility of seeing them. Thanks in advance for any information! 

Rob H.
Keymar, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/15 11:33 by yhandf.

Date: 08/03/15 12:03
Re: Question on the W&LE
Author: IC1026

W&LE only runs to Cleveland under trackage rights. Nick Santoro would know about some of this i bet.

Date: 08/03/15 18:32
Author: rwt_rave_1225

In the afternoon/evening in Akron, you'll typically have a mixed freight (symbol 291) be built in the yard and head west towards Spencer. If an empty 711 stone train is tied-down in Rock Cut siding at Summit Street in downtown Akron, the 291 will usually stop and add it to it's consist. They'll pick up the power and then add the stone hoppers to the rear of the train. This doesn't always happen, though. If it does NOT happen and the 711 is indeed done unloading stone at NLSC in Akron, then it will likely go west later on as it's own separate entity.

There will also typically be a local that switches various industries east of the yard in Akron, Ohio along Gilchrist Road in Mogadore. If you're listening to the scanner (frequencies 161.310 for yard and 161.025 for road), you may hear a train get permission to Weimer's and then "up the hill." That would be this local. After hearing this transmission, you'll find him anywhere and everywhere along Gilchrist Road between the yard and Mogadore for the next several hours before returning back to the yard.

As for the train to/from Glenwillow (aka Falls Junction -- near Cleveland), it is the 663. I may be mistaken, but I heard recently that it is now only a weekday operation. Regardless, it tends to make it's run north overnight nowadays. It typically returns south in the late morning/early afternoon, usually toning up the dispatcher to get a track warrant into the yard in Akron from Mogadore around 1200-1400 hrs. That's not an 100% guarantee, just a rough estimate based on how it's been happening lately. The local to Kent and/or Ravenna (an ABC Railway crew) may also be late enough to be making their return into Akron in the early afternoon around the same time and under the same routing. It occasionally happens that they run just ahead of or behind the 663 into Akron.

There are other operations that occur in the morning around Akron (which is actually the busiest time for the Wheeling and ABC Railway -- a subsidiary of the Wheeling). Since you said you'd likely be around only for afternoon/evening hours, I haven't provided any of that information but am more than willing to contribute if you would also like to have that. Hope this helps.

Date: 08/03/15 18:33
Author: WLE2679

The W&LE yard would be your best bet in Akron...but the only shots by the engine terminal is off the exit ramp.   Magadore has two lines that come together, but I have not railfaned there.  

Brewster is their main yard.  Spencer would be their busiest area as far as action I think.   All of these areas are west and south of Akron. 

Date: 08/03/15 19:07
Author: yhandf

You guys are awesome - thanks so much for the great detail and also the frequencies.  Unfortunately this will have to be a short visit, but I hope to have a much longer time around the area on the next trip. 

Thanks again, it is much appreciated!

Rob

Date: 08/03/15 19:43
Author: rwt_rave_1225

Roger, no problem. The 161.310 frequency is the new Wheeling channel 2 around Akron. It replaced the 161.250 (just in case anyone was wondering).

yhandf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You guys are awesome - thanks so much for the
> great detail and also the frequencies. 
> Unfortunately this will have to be a short visit,
> but I hope to have a much longer time around the
> area on the next trip. 
>
> Thanks again, it is much appreciated!
>
> Rob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds