Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Clifton Forge Va area question.

Date: 08/27/15 14:46
CSX Clifton Forge Va area question.
Author: ns2557

Over the last few weeks I have found my travels along I64 thru KY/WVA/VA both east and west.  Today was no exception.  But while passing thru the Clifton Forge area I passed over an EB CSX Stack Train. While only single level stacks, I found it sorta different. When I think of this line, I think of COAL, both loads and empties, perhaps witha n occasional Manifest here an there. What Stacker would traverse these tracks? With it being only single level stacks/containers, my guess is the Clearances won't allow doubles thru the line. Any ideas which one it was?  Thnx. Ben

Date: 08/27/15 14:51
Re: CSX Clifton Forge Va area question.
Author: toledopatch

If eastbound, it was Q136. If westbound, it was Q135. CSX has been running these North Baltimore, Ohio/Portsmouth, Va. trains intermittently via the C&O for a couple of years to bypass clearance-related construction along the former B&O, since they won't fit through the Virginia Avenue Tunnel in Washington anyway. Once that tunnel is enlarged, the "single-stacks" will disappear from the C&O.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/15 14:52 by toledopatch.

Date: 08/27/15 15:59
Author: Railfan94

Not exactly sure thats the reason. Q032/034 north and Q033/031 run that route daily, as does Q130, which is N. Baltimore- Portsmouth VA as well; all Single Stack trains. I think it's just to reduce the volume for the time being while the track work is ongoing. 

Date: 08/27/15 19:26
Author: tp117

Railfan94.....toledopatch is right. q31/33/32/34/36 etc are north south trains and stacks cannot clear Howard St tunnel in Balto and some others norht-south. The Portsmouth to Ohio trains will clear the expanded Virginia Ave tunne lwhen it is completed. So then you will be able to see double stacks on the old RF&P.

But CSX will not be able to handle double stacks from the South to the Northeast along the "I-95" Corridor, but NS can via a slightly longer route via Hagerstown, MD, and has done so for years.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0289 seconds