Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Trip change. Help please.

Date: 11/24/15 15:59
Trip change. Help please.
Author: jerrybob

My trip destination has changed from Morgantown to Parkersburg W.Va. I will have all day tomorrow to roam. I know not much happens here except locals. Is there a high traffic line or something of more interest say with in 50 miles I can kill time with. Happy Thanksgiving all.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/24/15 16:03
Re: Trip change. Help please.
Author: toledopatch

jerrybob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My trip destination has changed from Morgantown to
> Parkersburg W.Va. I will have all day tomorrow to
> roam. I know not much happens here except locals.
> Is there a high traffic line or something of more
> interest say with in 50 miles I can kill time
> with. Happy Thanksgiving all.
>

No busy line within 50 miles of Parkersburg. You do have Q316/Q317 (or whatever their prefix-du-jour may be) on that line. If you want busier your best bet is probably to drive down to the Charleston area, but even the ex-C&O main down there isn't high-volume.

Date: 11/24/15 16:20
Author: stevelv

If you are going as far as Charleston you might as well hang out in Kenova WV where you can shoot both CSX and NS on their big bridge over the Ohio.  You also have the Kanawha River Terminal in Ceredo just east of Kenova which is very accessible and switches coal hoppers with some cool older power.
Steve B.

Date: 11/24/15 17:01
Author: toledopatch

stevelv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are going as far as Charleston you might as
> well hang out in Kenova WV where you can shoot
> both CSX and NS on their big bridge over the Ohio.
>  You also have the Kanawha River Terminal in
> Ceredo just east of Kenova which is very
> accessible and switches coal hoppers with some
> cool older power.
> Steve B.

I thought about suggesting Kenova/Huntington, but that's quite a bit farther from Parkersburg, especially since the most direct route is a two-lane road along the Ohio River (paralleling the not-busy CSX line through Parkersburg down to Huntington).

Date: 11/25/15 08:48
Author: jerrybob

I hope to check out both of those places when I start home on Sunday. I`ve been to both on a weekday before with good results.

Date: 11/25/15 12:44
Author: dbrcnw

I don't know when you're seeing this but if you cross the river and go north towards Marietta on Ohio 7 get off on what appears as a side street just before reaching Marietta. I don't know the name but Ohio 7 will be down to two lanes instead of four and making a rather sharp left turn at the street. It leads into an area west of the Muskingum River and you'll find a collection of B&O cabooses, passenger cars and shells of F units. Interesting stuff.

Also be aware that the Parkersburg facilites are divided into two yards. One is adjoining the Ohio River and the other is perpendicular to the river east of same.

DaleR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds