Home Open Account Help 276 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Former NYC NS Marion Branch PRR signals are being replaced!

Date: 11/29/15 01:31
Former NYC NS Marion Branch PRR signals are being replaced!
Author: tq-07fan

The Penn Central installed PRR type signals are being replaced on the former NYC NS Marion Branch

My friend Robert and I set off for a day trip around twenty four hours ago. After a lousy start things turned around before we had to head toward home. After eating KFC and watching stuff on the mainline in Goshen our first signal we stopped at was south of New Paris IN at 50 N, former PRR Signal 9S. Much to my sadness I found that the signals are starting to have their replacements installed. 
1) With traffic on Indiana State Rt 15. I only stopped at the few that can be seen from St Rt 15.
2) With replacement on other side.
3) I put all three to show that the signal actually has a slight lean.

Date: 11/29/15 01:33
Re: Former NYC NS Marion Branch PRR signals are being replaced!

We did take a look at Milford Junction but with it being dark there was not enough ambient light to pull a night shot so we took off south. Somehow we got ahead of an NS Southbound with NS 9759 leading. The train went around the connection to the NKP at Claypool and had a train ID that I think ended in 2 or a Q but I never got a real good ID on it. 
4) Lighting up Signal 16S and replacement, I cast an Alfred Hitchcock like shadow on the relay cabinet.
5) This is what OH CRAP! looks like. Although I was far enough away the train blew my tripod over!

Date: 11/29/15 01:34

After that I drove to Warsaw.
6) I was able to get to the spot but was unable to hit my Self Timer before shooting so there is a slight bounce to the picture.
7) Some people guard their shooting locations, I post the damn street signs on the Internet. Especially since the street is the location.
8) I know almost nothing about the Marion Branch so I stopped in Claypool to see which way our train went. It headed toward the east on the NKP. I know, it's a new one but I actually kinda like the new ones too.

Date: 11/29/15 01:35

9-10) My stop in Claypool was both good and bad. I found signals being staged for more replacing.
11) Eastbound on the former NKP crossing the Marion Branch behind the preassembled signals.

Date: 11/29/15 01:37

12-14) We also stopped in Marion Indiana. I took pictures of a couple from the other interlocking but they did not turn out as good. These are from both sides of CP 78. No signs of these being replaced but what the Heck? They are real PRR signals along the actual PRR.

So this was my first and possibly last time getting to see the PRR signals along the former NYC line. I may try to come back, during daylight, but in the quite likely event that I do not at least I got some good night shots of the famous signals, or at least the ones that could easily be seen.

Thank You for Looking!

Jim

Date: 11/29/15 04:19
Author: jmbreitigan

Some interesting photos. Your first photo is nice. And I like the Hitchcock shadow on that signal cabinet. 
John

Date: 11/29/15 04:33
Author: ns1000

VERY NICE signal pics!!  Thanks for posting these.

Date: 11/29/15 05:38
Author: RuleG

You have some excellent photos here.  Thanks for sharing.

Date: 11/29/15 05:51
Author: CGTower

Signal crews are working south from Goshen is why you do not see replacements up in Marion, Indiana...yet...

CG Tower

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 12-14) We also stopped in Marion Indiana. I took
> pictures of a couple from the other interlocking
> but they did not turn out as good. These are from
> both sides of CP 78. No signs of these being
> replaced but what the Heck? They are real PRR
> signals along the actual PRR.
>
> So this was my first and possibly last time
> getting to see the PRR signals along the former
> NYC line. I may try to come back, during daylight,
> but in the quite likely event that I do not at
> least I got some good night shots of the famous
> signals, or at least the ones that could easily be
> seen.
>
> Thank You for Looking!
>
> Jim

Date: 11/29/15 06:25
Author: Rob46580

Just to calrify, you seemed to come short of the only prr signls along ex prr, those are in Marion at CP 79 ex panhandle side, where theres 3 types of pl's. otherwise the signals along line were transplanted by pc to this ex NYC line.

Date: 11/29/15 11:58
Author: justalurker66

tq-07fan Wrote:
> 9-10) My stop in Claypool was both good and bad.
> I found signals being staged for more replacing.

Most of the new signals you saw upright were staged in Claypool. The work is being done by Interrail. Thanks for the photos ... the last time I checked Claypool the Warsaw signals were the only ones left on site (and they have been moved to Warsaw for installation).

Date: 11/29/15 13:08

Rob46580 Wrote:
> Just to calrify, you seemed to come short of the
> only prr signls along ex prr, those are in Marion
> at CP 79 ex panhandle side, where theres 3 types
> of pl's. otherwise the signals along line were
> transplanted by pc to this ex NYC line.

OK. I wasn't sure how everything at Marion went together. I thought CP 78 was on the Pennsy, D'oh! Here, are these the signals you are refering to? These didn't come out so well. A stupid barking dog, I hate dogs, but a stupid barking dog distracted me on the first of these two shots so it was a night grab.

Jim

Jim

Date: 11/29/15 23:52
Author: Rob46580

Yep! those are the ones! They would be tough to shoot at night for sure.

Date: 12/01/15 09:47

OK, perhaps Rob46580 or someone else will know the answers. I looked into what was going on in Marion Indiana and am not understanding. I get that the signals at CP 78 were displaced PRR signals now but what was the reason for CP 78, originally CP 132 in early Conrail. I show a manned interlocking there in the Penn Central employee timetables but no explanation as to any reason for it being there then, or now. I have Penn Central number 6 from 1973, I may have number 7 somewhere but cannot find it. My first two Conrails the Michigan Branch was part of the Western Division and I only have the Southern Region. In searching TO I find that the placement of the PRR signals along the Michigan Branch, now Marion Branch occurred sometime around 1975 which would make sense since the ETT 6 from 1973 still shows the Michigan Branch being Train Order operation, somewhat rare for NYC as they seamed to like Block rules. I also see that there was an N & W crossing of the Panhandle (Mainline Columbus to Chicago) but it does not show crossing the Michigan Branch at least until 1981. Unfortunately I cannot find my Conrail ETTs later than Number 2 from 1981 either (love the house, just can't find stuff after the move). So what was the reason for CP 78?

This line is somewhat interesting. I did not realize that it was the NYC line from Louisville KY until looking at the ETTs. Probably more trains on it now then ever, at least north of Claypool. 

Jim

Date: 12/01/15 13:31
Author: CGTower

I "think" CP78 serves as a hold out signal for Marion. With the congestion at CP 79 and trains entering, leaving dark territory and Goodman Yard, it makes sense to have a control point to serve as a "gate" if you will into and out of Marion. There is a similar situation at Kenton, Ohio on the former Conrail Toledo Branch, CP 74.

CG Tower

Date: 12/19/15 18:12
Author: justalurker66

CGTower Wrote:
> I "think" CP78 serves as a hold out signal for Marion.

CP 78 has an interesting history. The current setup is as a holdout signal, but the signal locations reflect the past. The southbound signal is several blocks (and bridges) north of the northbound signal. The CP was the former crossing of the NYC and Saint Louis RR and the CCC & St Louis (Big Four) RR. The Big Four remains in service as the Marion Branch, The NYC&StL has been removed. North of the CP the NYC&StL turned east and ran trough Van Buren, south of the CP the NYC&StL ran parallel to the Big Four, crossed over the PRR, then turned west toward Kokomo. The distance between the signals reflects the length of the interlocking between the two railroads.

Back to CP 79 ... currently "CP 79 - RED KEY CONN" ,,, I have attached a picture taken today of the WB dwarf signal, a grab shot of the EB signals and for a little humor a sign I saw approaching a crossing north of Marion near signal 75N/75S,

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.11 seconds