Home Open Account Help 360 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Surprise Snow Day in Central Connecticut

Date: 02/05/16 19:28
Surprise Snow Day in Central Connecticut
Author: AT0315

Yesterday afternoon, there was talk that my area of Connecticut might get a bit of snow this morning. When I went to sleep last night, the weather reports were saying maybe 3-6 inches. Well...neither happened. We ended up with just over a foot! Many schools and colleges ended up closing for the day, including mine. But once the snow stopped, it was a quick transition to cloudless skies. With fresh snow everywhere, it became an ideal afternoon for some railfanning.

While outside doing some shoveling, I​ heard the horn of Providence & Worcester's CT-1 approaching. By this time, the sun was trying to come out, although it didn't succeed at this task until about half an hour later. Still, I was very happy to get myself down to the crossing to grab a few photos with the snow on the trees.

Photo 1: ​B39-8 3907 leads a few cars through the winter wonderland on the approach to the West Street crossing in Middlefield.

Photo 2: B39-8 3902 is the trailing unit this afternoon. ​Note the run around track is totally buried under the snow. To the far left is the former Dyno Nobel siding.

Photo 3: After the sun came out, my mom I went to the Wallingford Station in between errands knowing Amtrak's southbound Vermonter (train 55)​ and Connecticut Southern train CSO-1 were on their way. Here we see 55 arriving at the historic station with P42s 106 and 111 leading the usual 5 cars. Quite a big crowd got on today!

One more photo to come...

Date: 02/05/16 19:36
Re: Surprise Snow Day in Central Connecticut

Photo 4: Often CSO-1 can be found running south in front of 55, but today was sadly not the case. By the time they reached Wallingford, we were quickly losing the sun. But an interesting photo could still be had as we witness New England Central GP38 3844 leading CSOR SD40-2 3398 and 45 cars past what will become the new Wallingford Station. This project is part of the re-double tracking of the entire Springfield Line in preparation for the new commuter service that will be starting up within the next couple years (if it sticks to the planned schedule, which it already hasn't). Other new platforms with overhead walkways are also under construction in Meriden and Berlin to the north. These new stations will certainly bring some unique new angles to the area. I'm standing at the crossing on the north side of the current Wallingford Station, which is behind me and to the right.

Thanks for looking,
Adam Twombly​

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/16 19:42 by AT0315.

Date: 02/05/16 19:37
Author: halfmoonharold

#1 IOTD.

Date: 02/05/16 19:45
Author: IRP

That first shot is amazing!

Posted from iPhone

Nolan Majcher
Broadview Heights, OH
Nolan Majcher Photography

Date: 02/06/16 04:34
Author: jmbreitigan

I agree with the others on photo #1. Should be a calendar photo candidate. 
John

Date: 02/06/16 13:00
Author: ns1000

Nice snow pics!!

Date: 02/09/16 08:22

Thank you all for the kind words!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.042 seconds