Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Derailment in Cincinnati........................

Date: 02/10/16 10:47
NS Derailment in Cincinnati........................
Author: Plowhandle

Any information ?

Date: 02/10/16 10:50
Re: NS Derailment in Cincinnati........................
Author: toledopatch

101 is the monster DPU train NS has been running north out of Chattanooga. It'll be interesting to find out more about what happened here.

A picture posted to my Facebook feed makes it look like a stringline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/16 10:51 by toledopatch.

Date: 02/10/16 11:07
Author: wheelnrail

It doesn't seem like these monster trains are working in NS favor. What kind of reroutes are possible to get around it?

Posted from Android

Date: 02/10/16 11:11
Author: howeld

There are multiple tracks at the location of the derailment. No detours needed just delays when you lose use of 2 or more mainline tracks in a busy terminal area.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/10/16 11:12
Author: lefflerlad

It looks like a rerouted M43-10 and 175-10 are utilizing the NS Sandusky and Columbus Districts to go south at this point in time.

Date: 02/10/16 14:08
Author: K8CNW

NS 101 derailed near the end of the train. He was indeed a monster at more than 10K feet with three locomotives on the point and three mid train. The incident happend right at the Hopple Street Signal as 101 was northbound from the "Middle Valley" at Gest Street lined onto CSX main 1. The head end was north of Colerain Ave when the train went into emergency. Some of the derailed cars turned on their sides fouling the "West Valley". All Norfolk Southern trains coming in or leaving Gest Street yard travel through the Middle or West Valley at Hopple Street so the derailment effectively blocked access to the north end of the NS yard. Norfolk Southern is moving some trains via Tower A to the (south) pig yard lead or the CSX bypass main to get around the derailment. Unfortunately anything needing to be switched at Gest Street (such as the intermodal trains mentioned in the bulletin) would need to make backup moves from the south end of Gest Street. RJ Corman is reportedly on the scene but I've not heard any estimate when the incident will be cleaned up. The cut of cars ahead of the mid train locomotives was cut off early this this morning and continued north up the Dayton District towards Columbus.

-Brian   

Date: 02/10/16 16:14
Author: wa4umr

In Louisville it appears that there is no hurry to move traffic on the LCL.  I came across a train with 7 locomotives on the head so I decided to stop for some pictures.  As I arrived the relief crew was arriving.  There had been a power problem.  They had to reverse back into Osborn to swap it out.  It got to the east side of Louisville and they tied it down.  The relief conductor said the original crew had some time left but not nearly enough to get to Cincinnati, besides that, "there was a derailment in Cincinnati."  Another train passed and went up the road past LaGrange.  Another went south from LaGrange.  After about an hour, I never did see the one that had sever locomotives moving.  

John

Date: 02/10/16 16:25
Author: tq-07fan

Maybe this explains why there was a Norfolk Southern locomotive sitting near the diamonds at Eighth Street, an unusual location. I saw that while driving the bus on one of the trips but cannot remember which trip it was this morning.

Jim

Date: 02/11/16 09:50
Author: approachmedium

Any photos of the derailment?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds