Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Little Red Caboose in Fort Wayne

Date: 05/09/03 14:34
Little Red Caboose in Fort Wayne
Author: wabash2800

Today, from a distance I saw a red caboose on the old Fort Wayne Belt at Zemco manufacturing at the end of the track off of Meyers Road. I couldn\'t get very close without tresspassing but I can assure it\'s not one from NS. It has no cupulo or bay window. I couldn\'t tell if it\'s wood or steel. It kind of look like one the IHB or MN&S had years ago but painted red.

Date: 05/09/03 15:04
Re: Little Red Caboose in Fort Wayne
Author: trainrdr

I think you might being seeing part of the Ft. Wayne Railroad Historical Societie\'s collection of vintage rolling stock. The Society is located between Meyers and Ryan Road. It\'s also the home of NKP 765, currently undergoing the most complete rebuild since 1958. Do a web search for the Ft. Wayne Railroad Historical Society and you will find a number of photos of this caboose and other vintage rolling stock in their collection.

Doug

Date: 05/09/03 15:12

trainrdr wrote:

> I think you might being seeing part of the Ft. Wayne Railroad
> Historical Societie\'s collection of vintage rolling stock. The
> Society is located between Meyers and Ryan Road. It\'s also the
> home of NKP 765, currently undergoing the most complete rebuild
> since 1958. Do a web search for the Ft. Wayne Railroad
> Historical Society and you will find a number of photos of this
> caboose and other vintage rolling stock in their collection.
>

Doug:

No, this is way on the other end of town on the old Fort Wayne Belt near the old "Harvester". I\'m familiar with the societies collection, they don\'t have anything like this.

Date: 05/09/03 16:10
Author: Markedup

I can\'t find a Meyers road.
Maybe it\'s just an old red , ugly, I.H. Scout.

Mark

Date: 05/09/03 18:29
Author: trainrdr

Well, I stand corrected lol! I wonder what it its heritage could be?

Date: 05/09/03 22:33
Author: dhc628

I drove my truck up to it on a Sunday afternoon a couple of years ago to take a look. It is a former MNS caboose. It could use some work and IIRC, the track it is sitting on is now disconnected.

Date: 05/10/03 17:03

dhc628 wrote:

> I drove my truck up to it on a Sunday afternoon a couple of
> years ago to take a look. It is a former MNS caboose. It
> could use some work and IIRC, the track it is sitting on is now
> disconnected.

Thanks Jason. I knew I wasn\'t seeing things. I think a number of those were captive at Goshen, Indiana about 20 years ago. As you know, one ended up on the north side of Fort Wayne with a cupola added (real cheesy)and it was moved and a former coworker now owns it. Also, did "Hairy" get to see my train video yet?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds