Home Open Account Help 254 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > G&W / PRR Panhandle & APEX traffic

Date: 05/02/16 09:37
G&W / PRR Panhandle & APEX traffic
Author: BO_CO_WM

Since there unfortunately is less and less coal traffic to discuss, I thought I would mention that this Saturday, while traveling south on I-77 through Tuscarawas Co. Ohio, I caught sight of an EB trash train with CSX power on G&W's former PRR Panhandle line.  I assume this train was heading to the landfill at Apex, OH.  I am guessing these trains are from the east coast, and are routed via CSX's Great Lakes Division (i.e. Utica NY, west thru Rochester, Buffalo, Cleveland, Greenwich, and south to Columbus where they gain entry to the Panhandle).  I am wondering- does most of the traffic for APEX come from the WEST (Columbus)... or does any actually head SOUTH down the Ohi-Rail... or from points EAST on the Panhandle?  Thanks

Date: 05/02/16 09:40
Re: G&W / PRR Panhandle & APEX traffic
Author: CR6079

Not sure but do know Ohi-Rail is the one unloading at the Apex site.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/02/16 14:01
Author: farmer

Columbus would be the top now from CSX. Rumor is NS has won the contract back and will be interchanging cars in Eastern Ohio again.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/02/16 21:09
Author: Poker2662

The first few trains that have ran so far (starting the week of April 15th) have been via CSX at Columbus. OC takes the trains most the way east across their system to Apex, running with the Q710 symbol. Ohi-Rail has two units staged at Apex to switch around and spot the cars at the landfill.

​I caught the eastbound loaded train Sunday afternoon with CSX 390 and 4810 for power. Here they are in Scio, Ohio. 5/1/16.

​Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/16 21:13 by Poker2662.

Date: 05/03/16 05:05
Author: PowellWye

Supposedly NS gets the contract in June but for now Q710 loads (South Kearny to Columbus) and Q711 returning empties. Also has cars for the landfill south of Fostoria on the C&O.

Date: 05/04/16 17:56
Author: dbrcnw

Went by there yesterday and didn't see any trains up on the OHI-Rail but to see the actual APEX landfill you've got to go on their property. I didn't.

Back at Miller Station there were a lot of trash flats on the siding but not sign of the CSXT power, there were three OC engines in various liveries.

DaleR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0376 seconds