Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Aberdeen & Rockfish - AC&W questions

Date: 05/02/16 11:02
Aberdeen & Rockfish - AC&W questions
Author: RayH

It's probably been 10 - 12 years since I shot this railroad. I remember that they left power in Raeford for the train to Fayetteville.

I have to make a quick trip up to the M-I-L on Friday night so I have this Saturday morning free. Does the A&R power still layover in Raeford, even on a weekend?

Does the AC&W run on weekends out of Aberdeen?

I'll have limited time so will want to shoot something (shooting the M-I-L is not a consideration, lol). Any idea what my best bet would be?

TIA

Date: 05/02/16 16:42
Re: Aberdeen & Rockfish - AC&W questions
Author: SpeederDriver

I lived in Raeford in 1964.  The 300 was brand spankin' new at the time, and the Laurinburg & Southern occasionally dropped into town.

Date: 05/02/16 17:01
Author: boejoe

I saw a Laurinberg & Southern GE 70 tonner in Wilmington NC about twenty years ago.  I suspect it was far from home rails.  I haven't Googled the L&S but I suspect they are part of the 'Fallen Flags'  collection of railroads that "used to be".

Date: 05/02/16 19:13
Author: SpeederDriver

Still exists, owned by Gulf & Ohio.  I think they serve Campbell's soup factory and store a lot of cars.  It's probably been a long time since they ran a train to Raeford, but I think the line still exists north of Wagram.  Anyone confirm?

Date: 05/02/16 19:21
Author: Lackawanna484

L&S used to have a big rebuild business. Rented out a lot of equipment to industrial users and operated a few local short lines in NC/SC.

Their back lot was a feast of old 44T, 70T switchers.

Date: 05/02/16 19:47
Author: BobE

I shot the A&R a couple of years ago.  They kept the power in an industrial park in Faywtteville and all their business was in town.

BobE

Date: 05/03/16 06:37
Author: ctillnc

I think http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,3373397,3373619#msg-3373619 is still accurate. It characterizes the L&S as a switching RR in the vicinity of Laurinburg, with car storage both south and north of Laurinburg. Going to north toward Raeford beyond the stored cars, the line appears to be intact -- rails and grade crossings still in place -- but everyone says it's out of service, and I can't imagine why any traffic would move in that direction.

Date: 05/03/16 06:45
Author: RayH

While I appreciate replies to this thread, can we please focus on the 2 initial questions?

They were:

Does the A&R power still layover in Raeford, even on a weekend?

Does the AC&W run on weekends out of Aberdeen?

Thank you.

Date: 05/03/16 08:50
Author: Fireman424

I have seen A&R power in Raeford parked in the interchange on weekends I have also seen them park outside of town toward Dunndarach. There is a plant out that way fertilizer I think but should be a unit sitting out there for Monday morning train to Fayetteville.I have seen AC&W power at Aberdeen on weekends but nothing running.My knowledge is slim out there but this is what I have seen with four trips to see my family at Ft. Bragg.

Randy Allard

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0556 seconds