Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Questions on N&W 611 and NS this weekend

Date: 05/04/16 17:16
Questions on N&W 611 and NS this weekend
Author: OCtrainguy

My son and I are making the trip down to Roanoke this weekend for the N&W 611 trips.  We have only been to Roanoke once before, about five years ago to visit the VMT.  So not being familiar with the area, I have some questions and hope others can help.  In looking at Google maps for the Roanoke to Lynchburg trip, it looks like the tracks follow Route 460 and 221.  Are there any real good photo spots along the way?  What is the NS traffic normally like on this line?  And railroad stations left along the way?  Taking an educated guess that there is a wye in/near Lynchburg to turn at least the engine around for the return to Roanoke. 

In looking at Google maps for the Roanoke to Radford trip, it looks like the tracks roughly follow Route 460 and 11.   Are there any real good photo spots along the way?  What is the NS traffic normally like on this line?  And railroad stations left along the way?

Any information would be appreciated.  The last time I saw the N&W 611 it was in the musuem, so I am looking forward to seeing it under steam.  

Date: 05/05/16 06:34
Re: Questions on N&W 611 and NS this weekend
Author: IRP

For the Lynchburg trips, I would recommend shooting the Webster Signals in Webster, Virginia which are easily accesible from the intersection of Webster Road and Brickyard Road. Also, there is a station in Forest, Virginia on Switch Street. For the Christiansburg trips to Walton, I'd definitely reccomend the curve in Shawsville, Virginia. You can get a great view of the curve at John Farm Road. Also, the Montgomery Tunnels will be a great spot to catch the train. The tunnels are near Den Hill Road.

I tried to describe these locations as best I could. Good luck to you and your son!

Nolan Majcher
Broadview Heights, OH
Nolan Majcher Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/16 06:35 by IRP.

Date: 05/05/16 07:59
Author: Jimbo

Here is a previous thread concerning Lynchburg to Roanoke:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,4015869

The Cambria area in Christiansburg, with two former stations and a road crossing, is another popular area for the Walton trips.  The location is on the west side of the summit, so best sound will be on the return trip to Roanoke.

Date: 05/05/16 18:01
Author: OCtrainguy

Thank you, this is helpful to getting us started on our trip.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0381 seconds