Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS to Kentucky Derby?

Date: 05/05/16 06:28
NS to Kentucky Derby?
Author: wheelnrail

CSX and Amtrak have sent their varnish to Louisville for the big race. I Haven't heard RJ Corman joining yet, however the big one, NS, hasnt joined in. Are they sitting this one out thanks to what happened with CP, trying to show they don't need to be lavish, or are they waiting until the day before or so to head to Louisville?

Thank you.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/05/16 06:34
Re: NS to Kentucky Derby?
Author: toledopatch

If NS were running its train to the Derby this year, it'd be there already. The purpose of having the train there was as a hospitality suite during the days running up to the event, not to ferry bigwigs to the race itself (the train deadheaded both ways). They didn't go to the Masters this year, either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/16 06:36 by toledopatch.

Date: 05/05/16 07:57
Author: richs

...A shame.  The nicest business train in the east and it's sitting in Altoona.
RichS

Date: 05/05/16 09:39
Author: MP286

Corman moved the Bardstown Dinner Train to Lexington this past Sunday.  The F Units will be the power this year unlike the past two years when they used Geeps.

Date: 05/05/16 10:23
Author: wa4umr

The Amtrak/Iowa Pacific arrived in Louisville this morning.  Five cars and two Diesels, butt to butt.  Probably return the train to Jeffersonnville by pushing it, about 5 miles, then run the Diesels around to the other end and pull it back to Chicago.  See http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,4023905​

I had also heard that NS would not be visiting this year.  R.J.Corman and CSX are expecting to run trains from the Frankfort or Lexington are on the old L&N Short Line.

John

Date: 05/05/16 12:12
Author: timecruncher

Actually, that is not the L&N Short Line, it is the L&N Old Road Sub, now RJCorman, further back, the Eastern Kentucky Division. Nice little piece of winding, hilly railroad from HK Tower (Anchorage) to Lexington.

The Short Line (aka LCL sub) is the Latonia - Louisville former L&N main line. Often confused.  Does anybody know about when the specials are supposed to leave Lexington and/or Frankfort tomorrow morning.  As cold as it is today, might need to take my snow filter with me!

timecruncher

Date: 05/05/16 15:19
Author: ICG

Timecruncher,  last year (on derby day) the RJC train arrived Louisville about 11:10AM and the CSX special was about a half hour behind it.    Tom Paris   Louisville 

Date: 05/05/16 22:28
Author: wa4umr

You are absolutely correct.  I know the difference but sometimes my fingers and my brain don't have 100% error free communications.  I live not too far from what I call "HK used to be a tower."  At HK Tower there's still a foundation there and that's what the railroad still calls it.  Thank for the corrections.

John

timecruncher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, that is not the L&N Short Line, it is
> the L&N Old Road Sub, now RJCorman, further back,
> the Eastern Kentucky Division. Nice little piece
> of winding, hilly railroad from HK Tower
> (Anchorage) to Lexington.
>
> The Short Line (aka LCL sub) is the Latonia -
> Louisville former L&N main line. Often confused. 
> Does anybody know about when the specials are
> supposed to leave Lexington and/or Frankfort
> tomorrow morning.  As cold as it is today, might
> need to take my snow filter with me!
>
> timecruncher

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds