Home Open Account Help 405 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Downtown Frankfort KY question

Date: 05/26/16 05:14
Downtown Frankfort KY question
Author: jimpress

Passing through KY, (we had supper in downtown Frankfort.  Ate at Burbon On Main street, real good).  Rode around town a little and saw tracks going through downtown.  Is that a freight line or trolly??    Jim Pressler Norfolk VA  

Date: 05/26/16 07:27
Re: Downtown Frankfort KY question
Author: DocJohn

Railroad through Frankfort is RJ Corman line from Lexington, KY, to junction with CSXT at Anchorage, KY.   Line was originally L&N EK line.

JL

Date: 05/26/16 07:29
Author: timecruncher

That is the RJ Corman line from Anchorage, KY (Louisville) to Paris, KY.  It is the former L&N Eastern Kentucky Division, in later years known as the "Old Road Sub."  This is some of the first railroad trackage in the Bluegrass state. That is the former L&N depot adjacent to the tracks in downtown just RR west of the tunnel.

This is a line steeped in history.

timecruncher

Date: 05/26/16 09:52
Author: jwl1973

The line you saw in Frankfort is operated by RJ Corman Railroad Group.  It was originally Louisville & Nashville's Old Road . . . part of its Eastern Kentucky (EK) Subdivision.  In the west, it begins at HK Tower in Anchorage, where it connects with CSX's LCL Sub (aka The Short Line) to Cincinnati.  At its east end at Winchester, KY (not Paris), it connects with CSX's CC Sub (Cincinnati-Corbin).  After L&N become part of Family Lines, then Seaboard System, then CSX . . . it was operated continuously by the parent company.  Some years ago, it was leased by CSX to RJ Corman.  It is still owned by CSX.

Date: 05/26/16 18:52
Author: idontstairs

I can type a bunch of info or you can click a link and read it all straight from RJ Corman.

http://www.rjcorman.com/shortlines/ckyl.html

For as many rail photographers as we have in Kentucky for some reason this section is vastly under photographed.

When I worked for PTI, for a year, I posted to social media every single day when I saw the ingot train was going back to Berea. Never saw a single photo of anyone who went trackside to photograph it.

Frankfort has a RR bridge across a large river. A tunnel. A section of almost street running. Don't know what else a railfan could ask for?

Date: 05/27/16 08:43
Author: jimpress

Thanks for the info. We may come back and try a restrusnt track side and see if anything shows up Jim pressler Norfolk va

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds