Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Summer heat is here...so is the heat distortion.

Date: 05/30/16 19:36
Summer heat is here...so is the heat distortion.
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Just before the cookout, and after lawn cutting duties, I was able to go out and get the NS 1073 leading 11V in Beloit, Ohio at PC 77.  Almost got blocked by 24M but thankfully she was very short today. First picture taken at 185mm with the new Nikon zoom lens. Was 87 degrees when I got this picture. Have a good work week everyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/16 19:37 by Forever-Railfan-45.

Date: 05/30/16 19:44
Re: Summer heat is here...so is the heat distortion.
Author: P

Pic number one is very nice!  Not bad for a short window of rail fanning.

Date: 05/30/16 23:30
Author: wa4umr

The longer the lens, the worse the heat gets to be.  I discovered that when I got a 600mm lens.  Even with the temperatures in the 60s, there is still heat coming off the ballast, cars, streets, or anything else.  I didn't have the problem when shooting across the water, the river, even a subject a mile away.  Turn around and shoot something in town, Heat waves distortion.  The first few shots had me thinking there was something wrong with the lens.

John

Date: 05/31/16 09:02
Author: csxcophotographers

You need a larger piece of glass such as Canon's L Series lenses. I havent had a problem with distortion in the summer months using their 300 2.8 or 400 2.8 lenses with the Mark IV or my new Canon 1DX MK2. The smaller the glass and longer distance causes that distortion very commonly.

Date: 05/31/16 13:18
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!! 

NS 1073 needs a bath.......

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0333 seconds