Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The Star of the day

Date: 05/31/16 20:25
The Star of the day
Author: florida581

It was a mediocre afternoon of railfanning for me today.  Scattered showers and overcast skies throughout the Tampa Bay area put a damper on the good photo opportunities.  Plus, I was hardly at the right place at the right time for the trains that were actually running at the time.  My trip began by chasing a CSX ethanol train, K427-27, between Zephyrhills and Plant City.  I thought of an ideal location to shoot him.  However, a short, but strong, downpour kept me from getting an adequate distance ahead of him.  Upon arrival at the location, on the southwestern edge of Plant City, K427 was already bearing down on me.  I was stuck on the wrong side of the tracks for the angle that I wanted.  O well.  The next swing-and-a-miss came when I arrived in nearby Valrico.  I had just barely caught the tail end of phosphate train K311-31 as it was making its way back to the Bone Valley.  Before I called it quits, I had one more chance to salvage an otherwise ho-hum afternoon.  I drove a short distance to Mango on CSX's A-line.  I finally had some luck on my side as the clouds began to make way to the sunlight.  I was also in time for P092, Amtrak's Silver Star, on its inbound trip to Tampa.  Running only 30 minutes late, P092 was making every bit of track speed as it rounded the bend at Mango and then towards its next stop at Tampa Union Station, roughly 10 miles down the line.  I usually only go for freights while out railfanning.  But today, it was actually Amtrak that stole the show.  I found it fitting that this particular train was the highlight my expedition.  P092 lived up to its name.  The Silver Star was indeed the Star of the day!

Andrew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/16 20:29 by florida581.

Date: 06/01/16 14:46
Re: The Star of the day
Author: retcsxcfm

You were only a mile from my house.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 06/02/16 05:03
Author: Narr8rdanny

Sounds like you had a "Danny Harmon Railfanning" day, Andrew.
That's how my luck usually runs. You got a great shot there at Mango, though.

DH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/16 05:04 by Narr8rdanny.

Date: 06/02/16 15:33
Author: bobgfla

todays star came thew Fla with engine no 6 it head 5 yesterday

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.03 seconds