Home Open Account Help 400 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > You Heard Of Ship To Shore Well This Is Shore to Ship Sunday

Date: 06/26/16 14:23
You Heard Of Ship To Shore Well This Is Shore to Ship Sunday
Author: Out_Of_Service

The scrap facility at Beckett St in Camden,NJ is a heavy overseas shipper of scrap metal ... even tho they share space and rails at the waterfront with the South Jersey Port Corp's Beckett St Terminal they have no direct rail service so they unload the gons on the siding and indiustrial leads to the port just ouside the gate and load these big 10 wheelers that dray the scrap metal inside the port ... a crane and magnet can reach the inside cars but trackhoes with magnets have to unload the outter cars ... once inside the facility the scrap is sorted and then loaded into the hulls of ocean going vessels ...

Photo #1 shows the unleading of the scrap gons 

Photo #2 shows the gons on the inner track 

Photo #3 show the shovel dumpimng the scrap imto the hull of a ship ... front end loaders and cranes with magnets on the dock on the other side of the ship load the shovels 

Date: 06/26/16 14:33
Re: You Heard Of Ship To Shore Well This Is Shore to Ship Sunday
Author: speederman01

That is actually a Liebherr "Scrap Handler"   If you take a closer look, it only resembles a "track hoe" in that they have a similar hydraulic base.  Scrap handlers have basically straight sections of boom that allow them a much longer reach than a backhoe. Also, that machine is on rubber.  That is a newer trend in the scrap business.  Tracked machines tend to tear up the ground/ pavement when moving around the yard.  Track machines are much heavier and don't have outriggers like the machine shown. 
~DWF

Date: 06/26/16 14:40

speederman01 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is actually a Liebherr "Scrap Handler"   If
> you take a closer look, it only resembles a "track
> hoe" in that they have a similar hydraulic base.
>  Scrap handlers have basically straight sections
> of boom that allow them a much longer reach than a
> backhoe. Also, that machine is on rubber.  That
> is a newer trend in the scrap business.  Tracked
> machines tend to tear up the ground/ pavement when
> moving around the yard.  Track machines are much
> heavier and don't have outriggers like the machine
> shown. 
> ~DWF

thanks D ... yeah i knew it was on rubber but for somee reason i put trackhoe anyway for no particular reason ... one of those i knew bur did it anyway things ... but thanks for for the clarification 

Date: 06/26/16 14:45
Author: hoggerdoug

Image 3, must be one heck of a racket with that scrap metal free falling. Ouch, what does it do the ship hull??   Doug

Date: 06/26/16 14:58

hoggerdoug Wrote:
> Image 3, must be one heck of a racket with that
> scrap metal free falling. Ouch, what does it do
> the ship hull??   Doug

they soft drop the first layer against the inside bottom of the hull and then just dump the scrap onto top of scrap 

Date: 06/26/16 15:31
Author: ns1000

Cool pics!!

Date: 06/26/16 16:04
Author: boejoe

Anybody know what type of amperage is required in a magnet like that to lift scrap metal?

Date: 06/26/16 16:04

this scrap ship at Beckett St was only one in the Philly area ports ... a first for me to see ...

Photo #1 Holt's Marine Terminal in Gloucester City ... this is where the slabs come in for the 60N trains 

Photo #2 is the Packer Ave Marine Terminal in Philly ... another blank 

#3 Tioga Terminal ( not pictured) just downriver river from the Delair Bridge was blanked too

i would've loved to have gone upriver as far as Morrisville to check Navlog and if anything was in Florence and south to check the ports of Chester and Wilmington and the refineries between but my condition only allows me so much time away from home ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/16 16:12 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 06/27/16 03:25
Author: jmbreitigan

OOS, thbnaks for the interesting post. I had no idea we exported scrap metal. How big is your boat?
John

Date: 06/27/16 05:37
Author: Topfuel

We export a considerable amount of scrap, particularly to China.  They make stuff with it, then sometimes ship the stuff back to the US for us to buy. 

Date: 06/27/16 06:20

Scrap magnets run on 230 volts D/C and amperage depends on the size of the magnet.  But 50 amps is a good start.  We ran 48 inch, on up to 54 inch on our machines  but you are probably looking at 60-72 inch on that 954   By the way, that 954 is an awesome machine.  If you put a grapple on it you can move unbelievable amounts of material.

Dave

Date: 06/27/16 06:47

speederman01 Wrote:
> Scrap magnets run on 230 volts D/C and amperage
> depends on the size of the magnet.  But 50 amps
> is a good start.  We ran 48 inch, on up to 54
> inch on our machines  but you are probably
> looking at 60-72 inch on that 954   By the way,
> that 954 is an awesome machine.  If you put a
> grapple on it you can move unbelievable amounts of
> material.
>
> Dave

our Model 40 Burro Cranes had electric magnet options but i'm not sure what the volts / amperage was on them ... the hydraulic machines couldn't compare to the air system of a Burro Crane ... A BC could make work 3 times faster than any hydraulic equipped machine .... the air brake controlled cables allowed the opr twork the cables without having to work the boom ...  an opr could drop the magnet and swing simunlataneous 3 times as fast as a hydraulic ... you loaded and unloaded on the swing and you were back getting another load or unload where the hydraulic stuff hadda stop work the boom and unload and then go back stop for position the hydraulic boom magnet over the scrap drop the hydraulic boom low enough for the magnet to grab for another load ...  a good opr could work the Burro Crane machine in one steady flow without having to stop and position ... when Burro came out with the Model 50 they were hydraulic and they sucked ... everyone asked for their Model 40s back ... they had cherry picker booms and couldn't pick under the wire with the boom ... the Model 40s were the best medium sized rail cranes the railroads ever used especially under wire ... ask any old timers ... even to this day there's still Model 40s hanging around for specialized work ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/16 06:55 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 06/27/16 06:54
Author: tp117

informative photos and details oos, thanks. Did you catch the name of the ship? if so, you can find out where it is going on a website. Philadelphia/Camden are not very busy ports Packer Ave gets only about one con ship a day. The schedule is on their website. Norfolk's three container ports get five to seven boxships per day, most post-Panamax. But if it has already sailed and way offshore it may be too late. I just checked and so no cargo ships in the Camden area.

Date: 06/27/16 07:04

tp117 Wrote:
> informative photos and details oos, thanks. Did
> you catch the name of the ship? if so, you can
> find out where it is going on a website.
> Philadelphia/Camden are not very busy ports Packer
> Ave gets only about one con ship a day. The
> schedule is on their website. Norfolk's three
> container ports get five to seven boxships per
> day, most post-Panamax. But if it has already
> sailed and way offshore it may be too late. I just
> checked and so no cargo ships in the Camden area.

not sure if i'm going out on the boat today ... i was gonna try to catch the 39G with the 3 UPs rolling over the Delair but i got up late (early for me ) and chuchubob's photos have it already putting the train together ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/16 07:37 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 06/27/16 14:51
Author: Chooch

I remember many, many years ago when we (US) shipped scrap to a country called JAPAN and like China, they too sent it back to us. The difference being that what Japan shipped us were war materials. Does anyone remember Pearl Harbor, December the 7th?

Jim
Hatboro, PA

Date: 06/27/16 18:45
Author: GN_X838

Yes,I remember Pearl Harbor! Why are we letting history repeater its self?????
............Swede......Albany,Or.

Date: 06/27/16 18:59

The older cable crane burro undoubtedly was a good machine. I put thousands of hours on similar cranes (except much larger) in the scrap yard.  I agree that the model 50 would be slow, I've watched one work at IRM. However, that Liebherr will chew up and spit out any cable crane it's put up against.   Do y tube search and watch one in action.  

~DWF

Date: 06/27/16 19:09
Author: navarch2

I bought three of these on EBay....my integrated mill will use a lot of scrap....so I needed some modern scrap handling equipment in addition to my Burro crane....they are very similar to what is shown here in this post.

Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0947 seconds