Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Flood Reroutes over Sand Patch

Date: 06/29/16 11:41
Flood Reroutes over Sand Patch
Author: cinder

Stayed at Mance, PA for three days and saw a westbound CSX 135 intermodal arounf 3 pm each day.  The pictures below were taken on Sunday afternoon.  This is an X135 with 215 wells or platforms, most being empty.  The two engines were struggling to pull this very long train upgrade.  With 215 wells (I counted them), what is the approximate train length?

Hasn't Q135 run the New River route for several years now?  Has that line through White Sulphur Springs, WV reopened yet?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/16 11:46 by cinder.

Date: 06/29/16 11:47
Re: Flood Reroutes over Sand Patch
Author: PowellWye

As for the C&O, they ran a Q135-22 west from Clifton Forge the other day that had been stuck there since the flooding starting. Q302 and 303 appear to be back running the route as of today but repairs are on going.

Date: 06/29/16 14:37
Author: DJ-12

cinder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stayed at Mance, PA for three days and saw a
> westbound CSX 135 intermodal arounf 3 pm each
> day.  The pictures below were taken on Sunday
> afternoon.  This is an X135 with 215 wells or
> platforms, most being empty.  The two engines
> were struggling to pull this very long train
> upgrade.  With 215 wells (I counted them), what
> is the approximate train length?
>
> Hasn't Q135 run the New River route for several
> years now?  Has that line through White Sulphur
> Springs, WV reopened yet?

A 3 well car is about 204 feet +/- exterior length, a 5 pack around 270 feet, but these lengths vary from car to car, but if the train was all 3 packs, that's a very impressive train length of over 14,000 feet.

Date: 06/30/16 05:44
Author: tp117

I posted this before but maybe it got deleted again. Q135 originating at Portsmouth, VA, a marine port shoud have primarily have cars with marine 40 ft wells. Most of those cars are five paks, average length 267ft. But cars get mixed up. Anyway, the shortest the train could have been is 11,481 feet. I have an Excel spreadsheet of intermodal car types, sizes, and population if anyone is interested.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0365 seconds