Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sayre, PA and Buffalo, NY

Date: 06/29/16 15:54
Sayre, PA and Buffalo, NY
Author: ns6669sd60

Taking a trip that will put me through Sayre. I see from Google what looks to be the old LV yard there and some other tracks that criss cross west(?) of there. What railroads end up through the area and what might one expect to see traffic wise?

Also, anything worth checking out in the Buffalo area?

Thanks,
Mike

Date: 06/29/16 17:31
Re: Sayre, PA and Buffalo, NY
Author: toledopatch

In Sayre, the Lehigh Valley and Erie-Lackawanna crossed. South of town the ex-LV is now the Lehigh Railroad, a shortline handling mostly frack sand plus any traffic remaining to/from the Procter & Gamble tissue mill in Mehoopany and other on-line customers. The ex-E-L is Norfolk Southern now and has about a dozen trains per 24 on it. The ex-LV north of town is NS's branch to Ithaca handling primarily salt from the mine north of Ithaca and what remains of the coal to a power plant also north of Ithaca. I believe the H13 local to Ithaca normally goes north in the afternoon, but that's old information and may have changed.

Date: 06/29/16 19:04
Author: RuleG

ns6669sd60 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Also, anything worth checking out in the Buffalo
> area?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

I haven't been to Buffalo in a long time, but I understand that it is still a good place to see trains.  Here's some information on places to go in the Niagara Frontier:

Buffalo NY Railfan Guide

Date: 06/30/16 05:44
Author: PCCRNSEngr

Right now for any action is Sayre will be NS H12 the Elmira-Sayre local. Crew on duty Elmira 8am and departs anytime after 10am-Noon depending on road freights in the area. The Lehigh Railway arrives in Sayre mid-morning depending on traffic needs. The LRWY most times has departed back east before the arrival of H12 in Sayre. Traffic is down so trains right now are smaller. H12 will set off the interchange cars for the LRWY and then switch GE Rail. Their return to Elmira is around 2-4pm. The H13 Ithaca Local is not running until later part of July. That crew goes on duty in Elmira at 1pm and when it runs out of Sayre late afternoon departure north for Ithaca.
There has been some coal traffic going to Milliken in the past month. Word of four train scheduled and at least three has been delivered. Most of that action is after dark.

Date: 06/30/16 06:09
Author: Lackawanna484

You'll also pass the Owego & Harford, and Wellsville & Tioga between Buffalo and Binghamton.  There are several old Erie stations in varying stages of repair along the way, too.

Date: 06/30/16 12:02
Author: choodude

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> You'll also pass the Owego & Harford, and
> Wellsville & Tioga between Buffalo and
> Binghamton.  There are several old Erie stations
> in varying stages of repair along the way, too.

The Subway shop in Apalachin is an ex Lackawanna station.  You can see it from I86 / NY17.  They still have the cast iron framework for a freight scale in the eating area.

Brian

Date: 06/30/16 14:38
Author: Lackawanna484

choodude Wrote:
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You'll also pass the Owego & Harford, and
> > Wellsville & Tioga between Buffalo and
> > Binghamton.  There are several old Erie
> stations
> > in varying stages of repair along the way, too.
>
> The Subway shop in Apalachin is an ex Lackawanna
> station.  You can see it from I86 / NY17.  They
> still have the cast iron framework for a freight
> scale in the eating area.
>
> Brian

Yes.  I posted a picture of that station a few years ago.

=================

ETA: Actually I didn't. I posted Owego from the same trip.

Owego

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/16 14:48 by Lackawanna484.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds