Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > W&LE Trains & Cranes

Date: 07/01/16 04:52
W&LE Trains & Cranes
Author: jmbreitigan

This past Wednesday we decided to head to the Avella road crossing (route 50) near the tiny village of Rea, situated between Hickory & Avella, PA. I always wondered if a decent shot could be had here. The morning was beautiful and my only concern is that a vehicle could block my shot. Due to the growth of trees on both sides of the track in this area, light can be an issue. W&LE co-operated and sent a train my way with a tiger up front and I think I got a decent shot. After this I headed to the Caldwell road crossing near the tiny village of Woodrow off of route 50 east of my prior shot. Just a rural crossing but I liked the setting and I never caught a tiger on point there. Mission accomplished at Caldwell road crossing.

The next day we decided to head to the Sate Line tunnel. Specifically the Meadowcroft road crossing west of Avella near the tiny village of Penowa. Real rural in this area. I have been there before but I wanted a closeup of a train coming out of the east portal of the tunnel. It is about a quarter mile from the road to the tunnel. I had been thinking of getting a dedicated big zoom and agonized between the Sigma 150-600mm and the new Nikor 200-500mm lens. After reading a review by Thom Hogan. I decided to get the Nikor 200-500mm lens. This lens is basically for wildlife and birds. But I think it would have a purpose in RR photography too. I was aware of a nest of Red Tailed Hawks close to me and that was the first use of this new lens. The pictures came out great and hand held no less. Due to the young ones constantly moving a tripod or mono-pod did not work. It is a load to carry but not that bad.

Anyway I thought I would try it out at the tunnel if W&LE would provide a train and before it got too warm and heat distortion became an issue.  Anyway two W&LE cranes ( LC 5070 & MW 003 ) came east from Mingo Junction headed to Rook yard in Carnegie, PA. The dispatcher wanted them to take the small siding in Avella so he could send a train east. I was all set up with my big lens but went back and forth deciding whether to use the big zoom or my 24-120mm go to lens. I finally decided to switch to the 24-120mm lens but due to my indecision I was barely able to get two shots. I guess this is where two camera bodies would be nice but that may be in the future. Finally the train came my way but some clouds blocked some on the sun and no luck with a tiger either. Out of four locomotives on this train a tiger was not in the mix. I took a shot with the train entering the west portal and one of it emerging from the east portal. No complaints from me. I got a train and at 09:55 before it got too warm. Even at this time at 100% magnification I could see some heat distortion. 

Luckily this train stopped at Hickory siding to shuffle cars or I never would have caught it. It was moving along. I re-located to near Browns Orchard near Southview, PA. and set up to take some video with my Nikon D-750. It also takes decent video. Two locomotives ( WE 212 ? ) continued on with one load of lumber and 16 empty tank cars. And then WE 643 with the other two locomotives of the original train headed to Mark West in Westland, PA. with 38 empty tank cars and a tiger bringing up the rear. It must have come east from Rook I guess. I heard the dispatcher give the OK for those two cranes to head east to Rook also. They had moved up to Hickory while the WE 212 was shuffling cars. I became impatient and headed to home and then heard they were on the move. I found a so-so spot in Cecil, PA. near Cecil elementary school and set-up to get a video of the two cranes. I goofed up as I was zoomed in a little too close and made a quick adjustment for the next crane. Hey it was hot and approaching a 7 hour day for this senior citizen. It was Miller time. Hope you enjoy the video. 
John

1. W&LE #6385 heads east to Hickory siding with some gons and empty tanks at the Avella road crossing.

2. Here I catch the train at Caldwell road crossing. Both pictures taken Wednesday.

3. Thursday we have crane LC 5070 headed east to pull off on the Avella siding. Crane MW 003 is bringing up the rear. The east portal of the State Line tunnel is in the background. 

More pictures................. 

Date: 07/01/16 04:59
Re: W&LE Trains & Cranes

4. Going away shot of crane MW 003 at the Meadowcroft road crossing.

5. WE 212 ( I think ) enters the west portal of State Line tunnel. Amusing at what the telephoto shot does to the rails. This is all new welded rail.  400mm f/5.6 1/250 sec

6. WE 212 emerges from the east portal. Some cloud cover in both telephoto shots.  400mm f/5.6  1/1000 sec.

Video is next....................

Date: 07/01/16 05:06

7. Here is the video.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/01/16 05:09
Author: bigkidpgh

great pics and a wonderful location to shoot since it's so rural and kinda "backwater-ish". Oh to harken back 40 - 50 years ago when the N&W and WM would provide the traffic through this location......I bet you would have shot more trains in a seven hour window back then than you did on this day! thanks for sharing.

Date: 07/01/16 06:07
Author: train544

Hi Jim
Great pics and video
Really like cranes ,one of my favorite is different cranes
That tunnel view is really neat
Tom Boylan

Date: 07/01/16 07:39
Author: agrafton

Nice series John, enjoyed the photos and the videos.
Alan

Date: 07/01/16 08:01
Author: ALcocentury

Nice pictures, sharp and clear video, I liked the "cranes", its something you don't always see, very unique. Thanks for sharing.

REK

Date: 07/01/16 09:47
Author: refarkas

Great images at interesting locations. My favorite photo is number three with the crane and its gondola.
Bob

Date: 07/01/16 10:38
Author: SDP40F600

Loved those tunnel photographs.

Date: 07/01/16 11:43
Author: Out_Of_Service

good stuff John ... all the photos are fantastic

Date: 07/02/16 03:17

Glad you all enjoyed the post.
John

Date: 07/02/16 16:08
Author: santafe199

That 2-shot sequence through the tunnel is really cool. Makes me want to return to Montana and get some similar shots along my old MRL working territory...

Lance/199

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0672 seconds