Home Open Account Help 247 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX traffic- South side, Pittsburgh

Date: 07/15/16 11:58
CSX traffic- South side, Pittsburgh
Author: nkp746

We are heading to Pittsburgh for a wedding tomorrow. I may have a few hours Sunday morning to see anything that may run on the CSX, as our hotel is right by the tracks, just off the 10th St bridge. Seems the Three Rivers Heritage Trail may be a nice spot for a morning walk. How is traffic on a typical Sunday morning? I also appears the NS (?) line a little further south may be accessible by a pedestrian bridge off of the end of 10th street.

Thanks,

Rob Bennett
Fairview, PA

Date: 07/15/16 12:59
Re: CSX traffic- South side, Pittsburgh
Author: Lackawanna484

Not directly on point, but the NS 6920, honoring our veterans, was reported at Shire Oaks yesterday. That's south of you, on the Mon Line.  Likely on or waiting for a coal train.

Date: 07/15/16 13:14

Thanks- I'll keep my eye out, but knowing my luck it will pass by, in perfect light, when we are either in the church or at the reception...

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not directly on point, but the NS 6920, honoring
> our veterans, was reported at Shire Oaks
> yesterday. That's south of you, on the Mon Line. 
> Likely on or waiting for a coal train.

Rob Bennett
Fairview, PA
http://youtube.com/user/SirDopeyTheBear/featured

Date: 07/15/16 15:47
Author: RuleG

I regularly walk the South Side Trail.  CSX train volumes vary, but you could expect to see one, perhaps two per hour. 

For the best photos, I'd recommend walking west from 10th Street towards the Station Square area (or past Station Square towards the Fort Pitt Bridge).  From these locations, you can get the view of Downtown Pittsburgh's skyline as shown in the photo.

CSX engineers sound their horns at the 18th Street, 10th Street and 4th Street crossings.

The second photo was taken from pedestrian bridge noted over the NS Mon Line at the end of 10th Street.  This line sees more traffic than the CSX line.

If you have the time, take a ride on the Mon Incline for a great view of Pittsburgh.  You can board across the street from the Station Square complex.

Have a great time in Pittsburgh.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/16 17:56 by RuleG.

Date: 07/15/16 17:31

That's a great leadoff picture, RuleG.  Lots to like in it.

Date: 07/15/16 21:36
Author: DOUGIE

GO STEELERS!

Date: 07/16/16 10:14
Author: RuleG

DOUGIE Wrote:
> GO STEELERS!

There is much, much more to Pittsburgh than the Steelers.

Date: 07/16/16 10:17

RuleG Wrote:
> DOUGIE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > GO STEELERS!
>
> There is much, much more to Pittsburgh than the
> Steelers.

Go Warhol!

Posted from Android

Date: 07/16/16 17:14
Author: DOUGIE

Yeah ok!

Date: 07/17/16 15:23

To keep this "on track"...I wanted to thank those with helpful replies. I was able to get out and saw quite a few trains on the CSX. This morning I got up at 7:45 (after a very nice reception and staying out WAY past my bed time at the Hofbrauhaus!) and a CSX WB autorack went by while I was in the room. I then wandered up the 10th St btridge and noticed a CSX track car waiting. I assumed he was waiting to set on for traffic. Indeed- he waited for FOUR westbounds. Then an EB autorack went by. Not too bad for about and hour and a half. Also during that time two EB trains went by on the NS Mon line.

We then went up the incline to Mt Washington and several more CSX trains passed. I was able to get some nice vids of the trains, Gateway Clipper, a tug and barge, and pleasure craft. We then had lunch at Station Square, on the patio right by the CSX, but nothing came by. To me, a very enjoyable day in Pittsburgh. I even bought my boys some Steelers gear...

Again, many thanks to those that provided very helpful information! Here is a short video clip of a WB coal train, seen from Mt Washington.

Rob Bennett
Fairview, PA
http://youtube.com/user/SirDopeyTheBear/featured

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds