Date: 07/17/16 18:36
Re: The BL2
Author: chitownjeff

m1bprr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting machine but with very limited
> visibility long hood out.
> Ed K.

That's why the BL2 never gained greater acceptance from railroads as the GP7/9 did

Jeff

Date: 07/17/16 18:49
Author: sscannella

Good stuff Ed.  I got to ride in the cab on the return from Hawley 25 years ago - July 1991.  My wife and I and our 3-month old daughter rode Independence Day weekend.  The conductor and I were chatting on the ride out and he invited me to ride in the cab on the return.  Shortly after that, prior to reaching Hawley, my daughter, who was sitting on my lap, puked all over my shirt.  Man I reeked in the cab on the way back, but there was no way that was going to stop me from a cab ride!!!

Date: 07/17/16 21:10
Author: wa4umr

If I recall correctly, the BL2 was built in the days of the covered wagons with the intention of providing better visibility for branch line and switching.  It was basically a road switcher with "F" heritage.  The short hood probably gave about the same visibility as an "F" unit and an improvement in the rear direction.  Not a great view, but better than the "F" body style.  The forward view was probably better than an Alco PA, but I have to admit, the Alco looked a lot better.

I have had the pleasure of sitting in the conductor seat while running at our museum, Monon #32.

John

Date: 07/18/16 03:53
Author: junctiontower

I remember an interview with former EMD engineer Max Ephraim in the EMD 75th anniversery issue of Trains.  Sometime about 1948, Max was in a meeting on the factory floor with Dick Dilworth, and Dilworth pointed out something like 49 flaws in the BL2 (Visibility being near the top, as well as the cost to produce the body) he felt needed corrected.  From that meeting or shortly thereafter, the decision to build the GP7 was made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/16 06:30 by junctiontower.

Date: 07/18/16 05:35
Author: HotWater

chitownjeff Wrote:
> m1bprr Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Interesting machine but with very limited
> > visibility long hood out.
> > Ed K.
>
> That's why the BL2 never gained greater acceptance
> from railroads as the GP7/9 did
>
> Jeff

That is NOT the reason that the EMD BL2 "never gained greater acceptance....."! The primary reason was, the BL2 with its modified pre-stressed carbody design was VERY difficult to build, and tended to tie up the "flow" in the main erecting bay. Once the BL2 underframe was rotated right-side-up, and decking was begun, it could no longer be moved "down the line" until it was completed. The manufacturing organization complained profusely to Process Engineering and Design Engineering for some kind of re-design.

Thus, Mr. Dick Dilworth was requested to return from retirement, and he subsequently designed the GP7. The rest is history!

Date: 07/18/16 06:44
Author: Lackawanna484

Was the BL a code for branch line?

Posted from Android

Date: 07/18/16 07:10
Author: HotWater

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Was the BL a code for branch line?

I don't recall EMC/EMD model designations ever being in "code" but, yes "BL" indicated Branch Line.

Date: 07/18/16 09:50
Author: dash944cw

Roger that.

NorthPennLimited Wrote:
> I like that pair of ditch lights in the orange
> shirt and white pants

Date: 07/18/16 10:00
Author: m1bprr

sscannella Wrote:
> Good stuff Ed.  I got to ride in the cab on the
> return from Hawley 25 years ago - July 1991.  My
> wife and I and our 3-month old daughter rode
> Independence Day weekend.  The conductor and I
> were chatting on the ride out and he invited me to
> ride in the cab on the return.  Shortly after
> that, prior to reaching Hawley, my daughter, who
> was sitting on my lap, puked all over my shirt. 
> Man I reeked in the cab on the way back, but there
> was no way that was going to stop me from a cab
> ride!!!

Oh my Sam, that had to be an anti climax for sure!
Ed K.

Date: 07/18/16 11:11
Author: m1bprr

On board footage of the BL2, listen for the Hancock 4700 air whistle.
Ed K. OH WELL PRODUCTIONS
cp Laurel Run

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/18/16 12:50
Author: rhmich

FANTASTIC !!!!      As a young preteen,   that would be over 60 years ago,   I was befriended by a C&O engineer when switching industries in my hometown in Michigan.   Several times a week for a few years,   I rode in the cab of C&O BL2 units  80-85  & 1840-1847 when they switched here. Still living in this same town for my entire life,  my memory drifts back to these days often.    To this day,  my all time favorite locomotive,  and go by the handle of BL2 1843 on one the Michigan railboards.    Seeing the inside of this BL2 #54 brought tears to my eyes,  and was just as I remembered it.   The motor sounds were the same too,  but the ones I wrode on sure did not have this type of whistel on it.  Thanks for posting and sharing this.  You really made my day.

Current Page:2 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0579 seconds