Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > AP rides again, Addendum

Date: 07/22/16 09:34
AP rides again, Addendum
Author: Pattenburg

Decided to try getting a couple of photos of NS transporting Air Products H/W just south of Palmerton, PA on Friday morning. Hiked up the Appalachian Trail (AT) where it overlooks the tracks near the L&NE bridge abutments. It wasn't long before the AP H/W came into view around 9:23 with its massive load. Both the train's symbol and diesel numbers were unknown.  After the train had passed and I was hiking down to my truck I encountered four backpackers stopping for a brief rest near the base of the path. When I inquired where they had started out their response was "Springer Mountain in Georgia!" and they were going to Mount Katahdin in Maine. Their destination for Friday would be "...the next shelter" wherever that was. Researching how many miles they have walked and how many more they have to go, this foursome had hiked 1,256 miles with 933 miles to reach Mount Katahdin in Maine! 

Date: 07/22/16 12:20
Re: AP rides again, Addendum
Author: m1bprr

WOW!!!
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 07/22/16 12:51

Some of the credit should go to you for providing those heads-up on these moves.

m1bprr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WOW!!!
> Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 07/22/16 13:02
Author: Lackawanna484

That's a great series of pictures, thanks for sharing them.  I hope the weather (temps and humidity) were ore conducive on the moutain than in much of NJ

Date: 07/22/16 13:20
Author: Spoony81

Great picture. I wonder how Janet and Dale are doing these days :-)

Date: 07/22/16 13:23

I also pondered that thought while waiting for this train :^}
Spoony81 Wrote:
> Great picture. I wonder how Janet and Dale are
> doing these days :-)

Date: 07/22/16 13:27

Weather wasn't bad as I arrived around 9 AM and it was still fairly decent. The people I did feel some compassion for was those four thru hikers on the Appalachian Trail wearing those packs. Considering the heat and humidity they will be facing it won't be an easy time for them the next few days.

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> That's a great series of pictures, thanks for
> sharing them.  I hope the weather (temps and
> humidity) were ore conducive on the mountain than
> in much of NJ

Date: 07/22/16 14:01
Author: ns1000

NIIIIIIICE....!!

Date: 07/22/16 19:13
Author: Out_Of_Service

Spoony81 Wrote:
> Great picture. I wonder how Janet and Dale are
> doing these days :-)

doin good both retired early ... gotta shore house, boat ... florida home ... 4 kids 13 grandkids ...

Date: 07/22/16 20:06
Author: Gonut1

Hey OOS,
That should be me but I'm still working. No home in Florida, still paying the primary residence mortgage.Funny, when I stripped the wallpaper in the master bedroom of our house I found a big heart drawn on the wall with the names of the newlyweds who built the house. I think they may fit your description!
Great shots there Pattenburg!
I've hiked many parts of the Appalachian Trail but haven't hiked that part. The L&NE Bridge is but a dim memory but I did see it standing! That area around Palmerton is slowly, very slowly recuperating from the Zinc smelting that killed off all of the vegatastion in the surrounding area.In the Sixties it was but a Moonscape! Bare rocks and very little green. Railroad Model Craftsman (Am I dating myself?) once ran a centerspread painting of the bridge. I still have it
Go

Date: 07/23/16 19:03
Author: Bridge60

Nicest shots I've seen of this move.  Really convey's the size of this thing.  Very cool!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds