Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Alcoa Warrick, Indiana Plant Questions????

Date: 07/24/16 14:50
Alcoa Warrick, Indiana Plant Questions????
Author: Eagle22

To All:
I have several questions on the Alcoa Warrick Plant. I tried to take a look at the plant as best as I could from Google Maps. It looks to have several yards along with several NS engines parked in the yards. I can see what looks to be a coal facility from what I assume there power plant.

My questions:
1. What products are shipped both outbound and inbound?
2. Do any aluminum ignots get shipped into the facility?
3. Does anyone know if any Alcoa facilities get any ore from the Texas terminal located along the Gulf coast?
4. Where does the coal for the power plant receive its coal from?

I hope I haven't asked too many questions, maybe it will help others wondering the same about the plant. Look forward to all the replies.

Date: 07/24/16 16:23
Re: Alcoa Warrick, Indiana Plant Questions????
Author: mhiser

The smelter operation was shut down in April due to low aluminum prices. The rolling mill and power plant were to stay operational.

Date: 07/24/16 18:52
Re: Alcoa Warrick, Indiana Plant Questions????
Author: grandroad

Eagle22 -  Some time ago I work at Warrick as a metallurgist, the products have not changed much. The mill is Alcoa's main source of can, end and tab stock. All of these products are shipped in boxcars or trucks because they must be kept dry. Since the smelter has been shut down no ore (alumina) is brought into the plant. In the old days the alumina was shipped by barge on the Ohio river. I'm sure ingot is shipped into the mill as is scrap which is melted and cast into ingots. Also, brought into the mill are lubricants, packaging materials, equipment, etc.
I do not know if any Alcoa plants receive alumina from Texas, however, Alcoa alumina is used in ceramics and I know some is shipped by rail into Coors Tech here in Golden.
Again, its been a while, but the coal came from mines up by Boonville, Indiana. The Squaw Creek Railroad brought the coal down and had a barge load out not far from the Warrick Plant on the Ohio River.

Paul Brennecke
Golden, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds