Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > More local help-W&LE in Pittsburgh

Date: 07/26/16 07:20
More local help-W&LE in Pittsburgh
Author: nkp746

It now appears that prior to going over to Blairsville, PA for my on-site job I will be in Canonsburg, PA for a week or so. Looking at Google Maps I see the W&LE runs nearby. Is there any pattern to train movements on the W&LE on the line from Pittsburgh Junc to Rook? If time avails itself to me I'd like to get some shots of the W&LE. Again, many thanks for any advice or tips!

Rob Bennett
Fairview, PA

Date: 07/26/16 12:37
Re: More local help-W&LE in Pittsburgh
Author: jmbreitigan

Hello Rob, as far as W&LE action near Canonsburg. W&LE brings in empty tank cars to the big Marcellus Gas facility located in Westland, PA. via the recently built Westland Branch once a day. This new track branches off the main near Southview, PA. and heads to the yard at Westland. Usually, they arrive around noon. After a few hours they take loaded tank cars out of the yard. Part of the Montour Trail walking biking trail parallels the track for about 4 miles.

As far as movement on the main, that is a tough call. I usually pick out a spot and get there early and listen to the radio and hope to see something. Sometimes I see something and sometimes I do not. This morning I was riding my bike on the Montour trail near Southview, PA. where the main goes over the trail and saw 4 W&LE locomotives hauling a long coke train westbound. Maybe I could meet you and give you a quick tour to some decent spots I know. PM me if you are interested.
Regards, John

Date: 07/26/16 14:53
Re: More local help-W&LE in Pittsburgh
Author: csxmonsubfan

While you are in Canonsburg you might want to make your way down to the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum located in Washington Pa.
http://pa-trolley.org/
They are open daily through autumn. Plenty to see and ride.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0548 seconds