Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Alderson, WV?

Date: 08/24/16 10:35
Alderson, WV?
Author: Benched_it

What's the rail traffic like in Alderson, WV. I see an Amtrak station and the line appears to be 
the same line or at least ties into the same line that goes through Thurmond, etc? I read through
the older articles on here but was curious to see if anyone had any ideas on the current traffic count now?
I'll probably be doing a day trip there in the very near future. Many thanks!

Jay

Date: 08/24/16 12:37
Re: Alderson, WV?
Author: MEKoch

I don't know about the current traffic mix, but sitting in Alderson along the Greenbriar River is very relaxing.  I also spent days there, while persons visited the women's Federal prison.  I would watch the trains go by, and read a book, or snooze. 

Date: 08/24/16 14:29

I would have no problem at all doing that, thanks!

Jay

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>I would watch the trains go by, and read a book, or snooze. 

Date: 08/24/16 16:53
Author: 611Doug

If you go, be sure to check Stuart's Hot Dawg and Smokehouse.  The deck over looks the Greenbrier river with the CSX on the far bank.  Great bar-b-que.

Date: 08/25/16 07:57
Author: aehouse

This is the former C&O mainline.  Traffic consists primarily in coal and empties (way down, of course), grain trains and empties, Amtrak three times a week in each direction, and a single pair of manifests (Q302-303) that do not run daily.   Until recently, hosted a daily single stack intermodal run, but that's been shifted to the B&O.

Art House

Date: 08/25/16 07:57
Author: BNSF-E9

How did Alderson, Ronceverte, and other towns come out as a result of the flooding along the Greenbrier.

I know Rupert, Rainelle, and other small towns (not on the Greenbrier) really felt the effects of the flooding.

It was very sad to see how the folks were effected by all that.

Date: 08/25/16 11:09

Thanks all for the great info, I appreciate it!

Jay

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds