Home Open Account Help 230 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Some NS & CSX at North East Pa yesterday

Date: 08/24/16 10:53
Some NS & CSX at North East Pa yesterday
Author: ns2557

Hello all,  On my way west again. Home by the first of the month, I think.  But after driving across NY frm Mass on the NY Thruway I took my break at North East Pa along I90 thru here. A Little truck stop with some great views is right here off the ramp. The view required a bit of shoe leather express to get to, but worth it.

Just west abt 1/2 mile or so is a small one lane bridge that crosses the ex NYC/PC/CR now CSX Water Level Main btwn Cleveland/Erie/Buffalo and points east. Still a major artery for freight.
After watching 2 CSX trains go by on my way to my location I managed quite a few shots in the 3-4 hrs I was there at the bridge.  Here be a sampling of what I shot.

Shot 1.  NS was the first to run some trains by me.  2 EB's in quick succession, I believe I heard one of them say it was the 69Q, led by NS 9676. Nxt was another EB, this one a mix of stacks/trailers and bare tables. Led by the NS 8166.  First WB was this one here. A short, what appeared to be a local with NS 3311 doing the honors.

Shot 2.  CSX finally got with the program with this WB led by CSX 5314. Mostly trailers. Didn't catch the symbol on this one tho. This is looking east from the bridge, for those who are not familiar with the location. The NS ex NKP is just behind me at a road crossing just a few short feet off the end of the bridge, making it quit easy to get both roads here.

Shot 3.  NS again for the next one.  This is WB NS 9765 with NS 2722 trailing.  From abt 1300 to at least 1800 or so minimum, the light is excellent for wb's here.

I have some more to follow.        Ben

Date: 08/24/16 11:05
Re: Some NS & CSX at North East Pa yesterday

Shot 4.. This was the first of 5 all within abt the next hour or so. Mow was set up just west of here and all trains had to get authority to enter the limits. Kinda helped in id'ing the trains abit.  This is CSX 7925W the L381-23. Long one at 188 cars. I believe if I heard correctly, it came in at abt 10,200 feet or so Not sure tho.  Just know it was a long one.

Shot 5. Not the next one by, that would have been CSX Q166 with CP 8602/8925.  This one is CSX 3306W, Q119. Rather short at, according to the detector 41 axles. 

Shot 6.. Last train of the group. CSX K138  BNSF 8259E  466 axles of Oil EB.  Others seen and shot were, Q022, and Q166.  On my way out of Mass earlier in the am, a WB CSX was crossing the bridge over the Hudson just east of Albany there along I90/NY Thruway. Led by CSX 692 and 2 others. I was hoping to maybe catch this one out here, but no luck on the pixels for that one. But after I got back to my steed and sorta settled in, it did show up.  Should have waited abit longer, like 45 minutes. So it goes.  Many more ran past my vantage point here. This was the busiest time for trains in the few times I have spent here. Others only yielded 2 or 3 and those were on the CSX, zilch on NS the previous times.  17 trains with 5 on NS yetsreday from abt 1415 to 2000 or so. Not a bad day at all.

Thanks for checking out the shots.   Ya'll take care.  Ben

Date: 08/24/16 11:31
Author: Fred

Yea, that little bridge is one of my favorite spots........usually plenty of trains & food nearby. Nice shots

Date: 08/24/16 11:55
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch, nice spot. Have to remember it. Amazingly that CSX "long one" has two empty center beams in the first five cars, the railroads just love taking a chance.
JB

Date: 08/24/16 12:07

Yeah, JB. That one caught my eye also.  Quite the mix of cars on this on.There were some other combo's that made me shake my head, mostly just like this one here.  Ben

Date: 08/24/16 13:43
Author: mkerner

Great photos. There used to be an Ambest at the MA/NY state line where if you got the right parking spot you could shot right off your walk way
Michael T Kerner
Collinsville, IL

Posted from Android

Date: 08/24/16 16:53
Author: jmbreitigan

Looks like you were at the Bort road overpass. 
John

Date: 08/24/16 17:54

jmbreitigan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like you were at the Bort road overpass. 
> John

John, Hearing of Bort Rd before, was wondering whether or not this was indeed that road.  Thanks.  Ben

Date: 08/25/16 09:36
Author: SCKP187

Nice location and photos Ben---what a great way to take a rest break from your work.
Brian Stevens

Date: 08/27/16 09:21
Author: NKP715

First shot with the 3311 would have been the
C62 local, which works out of Conneaut.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds