Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > EP NJ man struck by NYS&W

Date: 08/24/16 12:08
EP NJ man struck by NYS&W
Author: elu34ch

http://www.northjersey.com/news/man-hit-by-train-in-elmwood-park-is-in-critical-condition-1.1649583 Terribly written article. (If victim was walking away from cargo train how did he get struck?)

Date: 08/24/16 12:37
Re: EP NJ man struck by NYS&W
Author: ldstephey

Walking near or on the track with his back toward the train.  I think that is what the reporter meant.

Date: 08/24/16 14:51
Author: Lackawanna484

Many people use the railroad bridge as a short cut to cross the Passaic River from East Paterson / Elmwood Park west into Paterson. Depending on where you're going, you can knock off 45 minutes from your walk.  It's at Marcal Mills, once a major shipper and part owner of the NYS&W.  I've had my camera at the ready from time to time, figuring I might see a person vs train event there.

My guess is the Tuesday night westbound train from Little Ferry to Binghamton came around the bend at Marcal, and the guy was already out on the first part of the bridge over River Road, with his back to the train.

(FWIW, Dazio is a pretty good general assignment reporter. I read her stuff regularly.)

Date: 08/24/16 17:45
Author: rev66vette

Do believe at one time this was a double track bridge.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/16 17:46 by rev66vette.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0381 seconds