Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS 287 Question

Date: 08/28/16 15:59
NS 287 Question
Author: cornerfieldhobby

I've seen 287 quite a few times. And all times I see 287 are in Madison or Mentor Ohio. The question I have is, when 287 gets to Cleveland, does he takes the Chicago Line to Bellevue or takes the line through Avon? 

Date: 08/28/16 16:38
Re: NS 287 Question
Author: halfmoonharold

99% of the time goes Chicago Line to setoff at Fairlane Yard. May setoff at North Yard Sheffield if needed.

Date: 08/28/16 19:25
Author: cornerfieldhobby

halfmoonharold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 99% of the time goes Chicago Line to setoff at
> Fairlane Yard. May setoff at North Yard Sheffield
> if needed.

Fairlane Yard is at 7701 West Erie Ave east of Baumhart Road correct? I ask, because a freind of mine lives on the west side of Cleveland and like to catch 287 with the N&W leading if it comes through during daylight hours.

Date: 08/29/16 02:05
Author: JPB

I'm curious about the 287 consist west of Buffalo. When this train departs Ayer, MA, it often has lots of single stack containers. Are these jettisoned at Bison Yard in exchange for empty autoracks? Thanks.

Date: 08/29/16 11:29
Author: toledopatch

JPB Wrote:
> I'm curious about the 287 consist west of Buffalo.
> When this train departs Ayer, MA, it often has
> lots of single stack containers. Are these
> jettisoned at Bison Yard in exchange for empty
> autoracks? Thanks.

I don't know for sure, but it's highly likely what you describe is correct. 287 originally was a Buffalo-Bellevue train, with 205 (when it originated at Ayer) bringing racks that far and Buffalo-origin racks added to those to build the train. The 287 symbol (and its opposite, 28N) were extended to Ayer last year and then 205/206 were shortened to Mechanicville.

Date: 08/29/16 17:10
Author: MC6853

It was my understanding that it changed in July... 205/206 were cut back to Buffalo, while 22K/23K took on the Mechanicville/Ayer traffic... I had also heard that 22K's top layer of containers is for Mechanicville, while the bottom row is for Ayer... Did I get this right or no?

Date: 08/30/16 03:32
Author: JPB

MC6853 Wrote:
> It was my understanding that it changed in July...
> 205/206 were cut back to Buffalo, while 22K/23K
> took on the Mechanicville/Ayer traffic... I had
> also heard that 22K's top layer of containers is
> for Mechanicville, while the bottom row is for
> Ayer... Did I get this right or no?

I think you're correct. 22K/23K also handle Taylor doublestacks that get dropped and picked up at Binghamton.

I had read elsewhere that 22K and 23K are not to exceed 8,000 feet beyond NS end of track ownership at Schenectady (note that the original NS STB filing to acquire trackage rights on CP between Schenectady and Mechanicville at time of NS purchase of D&H South stated max train length would be 9,200 feet I think due to length of controlled siding at Mechanicville being 9,500 feet). Any single stacked containers that would cause 22K/23K to exceed the max length would be hauled by 28N/287, respectively.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2182 seconds