Home Open Account Help 186 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Railfanning Lynchburg, Va

Date: 08/06/03 01:20
Railfanning Lynchburg, Va
Author: SRSD45

Before and after visiting relatives in Coolwell and Amherst, I\'m planning to do a little railfanning in the Lynchburg area August 15 an 16. I usually be near Montview Yard, Kinney Yard, Kemper street station or the C&O. It all depends on what train is in the area or where\'s its headed. I would like to meet some of you fellow trainorders members. Earl

Date: 08/06/03 02:48
Re: Railfanning Lynchburg, Va
Author: Wastaman

Do take some time to go West on the C&O. Take US 501 out toward Snowden. For a section of the trip, you will be trackside, but of course the train frequency is variable. Snowden is where you will find a pretty long Ped Bridge, with mid-day to afternoon sun angles, perfect for the Q-303 (If it is on time). Make your day along the C&O one that Amtrak 50 and 51 run, this will double your train freq. as they send WB\'s along the James during that time.

East of Lynchburg, I suggest you check out Gladstonne, Wingina and my favorite, Buffalo Station. These may not be as prone to photography, and are MUCH harder to get to, but are fun areas where you can see real C&O heritage.

Remember for the C&O, AAR 08 and AAR 14, 160.230 Road and 160.320 DS respectively.

Date: 08/06/03 05:21
Re: Railfanning Lynchburg, Va
Author: varailfan

PO50 & 51 do not operate through Lynchburg. They traverse the Washington & North Mountain Subdivisions from Orange to Clifton Forge via Gordonsville, Charlottesville, and Staunton. I also wouldn\'t say they send more WB\'s along the river either. Usually they\'ll just fleet them out of Richmond early on in the day and those who get caught by the Amtraks will just go in the hole somewhere.

Jeff Hawkins - Richmond, VA
http://members.trainorders.com/varailfan/

Date: 08/06/03 05:29
Re: Railfanning Lynchburg, Va -
Author: throbbingunits

No passenger service on the C&O JAmes River since 1957. I am reminded of the Leanin\' Tree Christmas card of C&O E-units on a passenger train that OBVIOUSLY is located in Charlottesville, but is labelled as being in Lynchburg.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds