Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > If only there was a train on this trestle...

Date: 10/24/16 20:18
If only there was a train on this trestle...
Author: inCHI

...it would be an even more stunning scene. But in West Virginia, this is an increasingly common scenario. When I asked a few weeks back what traffic is on the Appalachian and Ohio, the indication was that only two mines were still loading, both very little, and one of those (Carter Roag) was actually reported to be closed last year (though I guess it hasn't?) Otherwise, there is minimal local traffic. So chances here at the Pleasant Creek Trestle seem very slim - maybe less than a train a day.

In the third picture, from fall of 2015, I caught one of the last moves over one of many impressive trestles on the Virginian's line over Clark's Gap, which had this portion shut down a week later. So this trestle has been rusting away for a year.

Date: 10/25/16 03:45
Re: If only there was a train on this trestle...
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Well, certainly a bridge  but not really a trestle.

Date: 10/25/16 03:55
Author: rev66vette

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, certainly a bridge  but not really a
> trestle.

Well, department of corrections aside, it's been known as the Pleasant Creek Trestle since the days of the B&O, and references to it are all over. 

Date: 10/25/16 04:57
Author: camcordersam

I believe I have videod a train on that trestle twice in the past 10 years.
SJS

Posted from Android

Date: 10/25/16 12:00
Author: JLinDE

Well, both are bridges or trestles. And they are also viaducts. Bridge is a very general term. Terstles and viaducts are more specific. I found this out by using an old, popular book I keep at my side. It is called a dictionary. N&W track charts refer to many of their tall, long bridges as viaducts. 

Date: 10/25/16 16:10
Author: nwsd45

Whatever one chooses to call them those are some impressive structures! Too bad traffic is so light now days.

Mike

Posted from Android

Date: 10/25/16 17:00
Author: jtar463

This was taken there in May of 2002.  A friend and I were leaving the area after spending a couple of days in Grafton.  We thought the same thing, it would be nice to see a train here.  We left and drove down the road about 2 miles and saw 305 coming.  We turned around and drove 80 back up there and jumped out and grabbed this shot!  It is one of my all-time favorites and it is still hanging above my desk at work.

Date: 10/25/16 17:35
Author: VFPNSFAN

That's a beauty, or nice, or fabulous image.  Take your pic

Date: 10/25/16 18:09
Author: inCHI

Yup, fantastic image, especially with that hint of the moon.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds