Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX in the New River Gorge pt. 1

Date: 10/27/16 14:05
CSX in the New River Gorge pt. 1
Author: inCHI

I had a chance to spend some time in the New River Gorge, and had enough luck, over time, to get trains in spots where I hoped to see them. The fall colors aren't peak, and the weather was usually cloudy or rainy, but I was happy to actually get the traffic and some of the rainy weather made for interesting scenes.

1-3. I stopped at Grandview in the rain, took a look under the umbrella, and headed back. Just as I was about to leave the scanner made a noise - what luck! An empty grain train was heading west, with what now must be the typical double set (probably 140-150 cars).

The most striking color was next to me, so I had to put a panaromia together. I wish I had plan to make a full panorama.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/16 14:06 by inCHI.

Date: 10/27/16 14:18
Re: CSX in the New River Gorge pt. 1

4. What was most surprising about that empty grain train was that less than an hour earlier, I had found another one departing Hinton, and managed to stumble across the overlook at Brooks to capture it. Considering that these trains are now combined two-into-one, and I heard there may only be 1 a day, it was a surprise to see them back to back.

5/6. On another day, I caught the Cardinal heading east under harsh shadows and sunlight beneath Hawk's Nest Lodge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/16 14:26 by inCHI.

Date: 10/27/16 14:22

My luck with sun was not so great, but I was still happy to see trains practically for the first time at the Hawks Nest Overlook.

7-9. A bit after sunrise, this massive westbound came through. It shows one reason why traffic is harder to find on the New River Sub - the first section was grain, so at least 70 cars or so, and the second half was an empty coal set, which I would guess would be at least 70-120 cars - so probably a minimum of 200 cars total. I wasn't near the scanner while watching it and couldn't keep track with the 10mph (making the train take an eternity at this length) so I don't know the true length. If anyone happens to know of it (8am, Oct. 23rd) I would be interested.

The last shot shows the two sets combined.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/16 14:32 by inCHI.

Date: 10/27/16 14:31

Lastly, on another cloudy afternoon I caught a loaded coal drag headed east past Hawks Nest, grinding away at less than 10mph.

I have other photos to edit still, some from the Kanawha River Valley and some night images.

Date: 10/27/16 18:13
Author: kpcmcpkva

A big thumbs up for the 3rd pic color. All are great.

Almost Heaven, West Virginia !!

Date: 10/27/16 19:08
Author: holiwood

Great pictures,  That is a beautiful place

How far is it from the bridge to the Dam?

hollywood
NS B Line MP 74

Date: 10/27/16 19:40
Author: cutboy2

When  was this?? you  found  some great locations?!!

Date: 10/27/16 20:29

Hey, if you mean the Hawks Nest bridge, I would guess something like a half mile to a mile. At Hawks Nest lodge, you are somewhat close to the bridge, at the overlook, it is more distant and the dam is nearby.

These were taken October 20-23rd. I don't think any location here is new; if anything, I was finally getting to locations others recommeded. (There are some great guides online.)

Date: 10/27/16 20:35

EL3600 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for sharing! In the 1st shot you can see
> the remains of the bridge over New River. This
> line ran from the Raleigh/Beaver yard to that
> point in the gorge where it joined the C&O. It was
> abandoned in 1917.

Is this is the same Raleigh Yard that still has a branch from Prince? If so, my next round of photos includes (nighttime) shots on it that I was lucky to catch.

Date: 10/27/16 22:42
Author: EL3600

Quote from Riding That New River Train​ by Eugene Huddleston, C&O Historical Society, 1989 p.85: THE GLADE CREEK AND RALIEGH RAILROAD. "This road was built by the Blue Jay Lumber Company about 1898 as a three-foot narrow guage up Glade Creek 13 miles from a connection with the C&O at Glade Station. Much of the GC&R was acquired by the Raliegh & South Western Ry. in 1906 (and in turn by the C&O in 1910.) Piers for the GC&R crossing the New are still visible at Glade, several miles east of Quinnimont. At Glen Morgan, on the plateau at the top of the Glade Creek grade were an engine house and the sawmill of the Blue Jay Lumber Co. A short portion of this old lumber railroad, acquired by the C&O in 1931, remained as a C&O branch line until the 1980's. In fact, as late as 1987 a station sign just east of Raleigh Yard (abandoned) read "Blue Jay Junction"  (at the former joining of the Glade Creek and Raliegh Subdivision with the Piney Creek Subdivision.) The original narrow-gauge portion of the GC&R up Glade Creek Canyon was taken up in 1917."

​The lead from Raliegh Yard through Glen Morgan served strip mines in Beaver into the early 80's. There was a small abandoned yard in Beaver, near the site of the old Blue Jay Lumber mill.  Maybe someone has information on traffic from Prince to Beckley on the Piney Creek Sub?

Date: 10/28/16 06:37
Author: goneon66

could somebody tell me what towns this new river sub is between?  i'd like to look it up on google earth.  sure is some neat scenery.  thanks for any info........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/16 07:09 by goneon66.

Date: 10/28/16 07:40
Author: Gonut1

The Gorge and Hawks Nest is between Prince and Alloy West Virginia, former C&O mainline.
Gonut

Date: 10/28/16 08:48
Author: bluesboyst

great shots..

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0706 seconds